Water fills cistern very slowly

Reaction score
The toilet in my bathroom fills very slowly and I don't know what to do to make it fill quicker. I'm posting a picture so hopefully someone can tell me what I need to do.

Attachments

• IMG_3072.JPG
    IMG_3072.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 180
Sponsored Links
1. Is this something new, or has it always filled slowly? All options below require the water to the WC cistern to be shut off. Then:

2. If its a new problem, I'd suggest your first step is to change the diaphragm washer in the inlet valve. I'm afraid I can't tell from the photograph what type of inlet valve it is.

3. If it has been like this since installation, then:
3a. If your water supply to the WC cistern is low pressure (cold water storage cistern in loft), they may have left the pressure reducer in the valve when fitting it. Usually in the bottom of the stem of the inlet valve. Remove it.
3b. If the water supply is high pressure (mains), as 2. above.

4. If all else fails, change the inlet valve. Fluidmaster with brass shank is generally good if you have the room for it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies. I decided to go with The Novice's advice first as that seemed easy. I googled siamp washer, saw a link to screwfix and a YouTube video showing how to fit them. Bought the washer, watched the video, followed the instructions and now the cistern fills in about 40 seconds instead of about 10 minutes

I'm a very pleased newbie on this forum

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back