water flowing somewhere?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've had this problem for a while now. There is always a sound as if there is a tap running somewhere in my house, i do not have a boiler only a immersion tank and there is no tank in the loft either. Any ideas

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
A Fortic cylinder maybe? They incorporate the cold feed cistern above the hot cylinder, all in the same unit. It can take a few minutes to finish refilling after you have drawn some hot water.

Immersion heaters can 'sing' like a kettle as they heat the water. If that's the source of the noise, switching off the heater should stop it.

Check the float valves are shutting off correctly in the hot water header tank and WC cisterns . Faults are usually indicated by water running from overflow warning pipes, but some WCs have internal overflows, which are not so evident.

Try turning off your internal stopcock on the rising main, usually, but not always under the kitchen sink, and see if that stops the noise. If it does, you may have a leak in your plumbing, maybe under a suspended floor etc, where it could go unnoticed for a considerable time.

If it doesn't, try turning off the water supplier's stop tap, usually under a cover in the pavement outside your house. If that stops the noise, you may have a leak in your service pipe connection.

If shutting the suppliers stop tap doesn't stop the noise, it may be a noise transmitted through the water pipework from neighbouring houses.

Failing all of that, see your doctor - you may have tinnitus :idea:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back