Water Hammer Arrester

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got mains pressure plastic plumbing and a combi boiler. Whereever the kitchen taps are turned on there is loud noise (water hammer) coming from one of the upstair pipes. I can't get to it to clip it down, if that would help.

Saw something in the papers about a water hammer arrester. But what is it, how does it work, how much does it cost and wheres the best place to fit one?

Sponsored Links
why dont u search google for water hammer arrester ?

water hammer arresters are only like little expansion vessels, they need to be fitted within 2 metres of the problem, i am sorry mate but you will have to get up into that attic and secure that coper pipe from bouncing around when the ball valve is bouncing.

Sponsored Links
Get up in your attic & tee off cold water mains with short stub of copper preferably 22mm about 100mm long & put a cap on end of pipe.This will act as a small expansion vessel & noise should disappear

Rogue Trader

This seems like a good cheap fix. Have you actually done this successfully yourself.

PIPERPETE said:
water hammer arresters are only like little expansion vessels, they need to be fitted within 2 metres of the problem, i am sorry mate but you will have to get up into that attic and secure that coper pipe from bouncing around when the ball valve is bouncing.

but he said: "mains pressure plastic plumbing and a combi boiler"

Yep, Combi so theres no pipework in the attic.

Saw a reply to a question on water hammer from Danny Davies (Tech Officer at the IPHE). Had a look round and go a rough idea of what they are and how they work.

But do they really work and whats a good one to go for?

JohnBoyII said:
I've got mains pressure plastic plumbing and a combi boiler. Whereever the kitchen taps are turned on there is loud noise (water hammer) coming from one of the upstair pipes. I can't get to it to clip it down, if that would help.

Saw something in the papers about a water hammer arrester. But what is it, how does it work, how much does it cost and wheres the best place to fit one?
PTS.....£15.00.@ that price must be worth a try ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back