Water Heater Tank - stops hot water completely

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just bought a house and it has a hot water tank (Elson Opal) and a power shower.

For some reason when showering, after a certain amount of time, the hot water just stops and the shower can't run. It's not that there's just cold water, there's almost no water coming out at all. The showers starts revving up, but the water barely drips out.

Same thing happens to other taps.
Tonight, I hadn't used the hot water at all, but there's still nothing coming out. The bathroom hot water tap and bath hot water tap have hot water, but not the shower, nor the kitchen mixer tap.

I think it may be a problem with the motorised valves (if that's what those even are - pictures attached).

I believe the boiler should run on Economy 7, but I can't see any timers other than two power cords coming from wall sockets one of which has a "7" and the other a "W" written on them with a pen.

Any help with diagnosing the problem will be most welcomed.

IMG_2112.JPG

IMG_2113.JPG

Sponsored Links
Those opal tanks are junk. Your power shower is probably draining faster than the tank is re filling. Check the cold supply line for isolation valves partly closed off ,then check the operation of the ball cock , to ensure a full flow of cold water is getting through.
Budget for replacing the piece of junk with something more efficient at your earliest opportunity.
You probably have an air lock as well.

Your first pic is two drain cocks ,not motorised valves ,by the way.

Those opal tanks are junk. Your power shower is probably draining faster than the tank is re filling. Check the cold supply line for isolation valves partly closed off ,then check the operation of the ball cock , to ensure a full flow of cold water is getting through.
Budget for replacing the piece of junk with something more efficient at your earliest opportunity.
You probably have an air lock as well.
I'll check the isolation valve. No idea how to check the operation of the ball cock - this thing is a black box.

Would you know roughly how much it would cost to replace this?

Sponsored Links
The ball cock is on the inside ,at the top, follow the cold feed pipe into the top of the tank. The ball cock/ inlet valve are connected to it.
Price to replace depends on what you replace it with...combi boiler..pressurised tank..conventional gravity set up.. And of course your location ,but thousands not hundreds most likely I'm afraid.

You have two electric immersion heaters. The lower one heats the whole tank and usually fed from a low tariff like economy 7. During the night. The higher one heats less volume of water in the upper reaches ,and is connected to your " normal " electric supply 24 hours. If you have a gas central heating boiler ,it may also heat this tank,more economically than the immersion heaters.

The ball cock is on the inside ,at the top, follow the cold feed pipe into the top of the tank. The ball cock/ inlet valve are connected to it.
Price to replace depends on what you replace it with...combi boiler..pressurised tank..conventional gravity set up.. And of course your location ,but thousands not hundreds most likely I'm afraid.
I've got very limited space around the boiler, so I might have to call a plumber.

I've only got electricity in the flat, no gas. The space is small, so I won't need a combi boiler.
So I guess I'd go with a water tank again, unless there's something better - maybe something that heats up water instantly like a combi?

Your first post said you have bought a new house !! However ,now you clarified its a flat ,and small ,without gas ,puts a different perspective on the matter. You would be wise to call in a plumber ,to evaluate what's going on and discuss your options. Preferably one who is familiar with your tank ( which went out of production years ago,and some younger plumbers have probably never seen one ).

Your first post said you have bought a new house !! However ,now you clarified its a flat ,and small ,without gas ,puts a different perspective on the matter. You would be wise to call in a plumber ,to evaluate what's going on and discuss your options. Preferably one who is familiar with your tank ( which went out of production years ago,and some younger plumbers have probably never seen one ).
Sorry about that. Yes, it's a 1 bedroom flat.

just fit a good electric shower and let the Elson provide for hand washing and dishes etc . as already said they are pretty crap and old design

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back