Water heaters in flats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in a flat that has an under the sink Ariston Europrisma water heater, this is the only water heater to heat water for both Kitchen and Bathroom including a separate shower. Is this enough for a flat? A plumber has said should install a water tank that heats water (during the night)... Is this necessary?

Any advice would be great before I do anything drastic!
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Is the seperate shower electric with its own supply? if the heater is only supplying the kitchen sink and bathroom wash hand basin it should be fine unless your continually running out of hot water, has your flat got gas ?

There is no gas pipe work to the building, the shower is not heated separately - heated through the water heater...

Sponsored Links
There is no gas pipe work to the building, the shower is not heated separately - heated through the water heater...

"The Europrisma water heater comes as both over-sink or under-sink units in capacities of 10 and 15 litres and there is an over-sink 30 litre version. Both the over-sink and under-sink models are for unvented single or multiple outlet installation. The Europrisma range is available in 2kW (under-sink only) and 3kW versions." (Ariston website)

This will deliver small quantities of stored hot water suitable for hand-washing etc. It is completely inappropriate for a shower.

Thank you for confirming that the Ariston is inappropriate for a shower, I wish I was aware of all of this before i bought the flat...! I will now have to look into alternative water heaters.

You either want a big hot water cylinder and header tank OR a mains pressure hot water cylnder ("megaflo" although other makes are available") OR replace the shower with an electric shower wired back to the consumer unit.

The last is likely to be the cheapest provided you have a suitable spare way on the consumer unit, but will only run a shower.

Some sort of stored hot water will be needed if you want to fill a bath, and will let you take advantage of off-peak electric overnight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back