Water in boiler electric pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1A256CB4-A8B0-4CA8-8B5B-FD5547F0A720.jpeg
013620DC-C957-4A56-B563-C57BB90317D2.jpeg
Hey all, few days ago my boiler stopped working, checked it today and found it had blown fuse on the wall, changed it, boiler turns on but shuts down 30 seconds later. I felt the pump to see if it was turning and nothing, opened the screw to check if it’s jammed and it’s not. Thought maybe the pump fuse is also blown, opened the electric housing and a bit of water came out! I’m almost sure there should not be water in here but have a look please as I may be wrong. before getting a boiler guy out is this fixable? Don’t want to get shafted in to a new pump if it can be fixed.

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't be water in the connection box...how come you had a secondhand boiler pump fitted to an old back casing?

Something's been leaking for a while given the colour on the pipe in the back of that pic and the colour of the water in that box, surprised it's hasn't blown before now.

As @flameport suggest, new pump time.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies guys, much appreciated!

My boiler is an old Glowworm Ultimate 40 FF and the guy that fitted the pump said you can’t get pumps for them anymore or my fittings were different, and the pump was supposedly a reconditioned pump.......

the pump was supposedly a reconditioned pump.......

That looks like a head from one that fits into a Vaillant Combi. Looking at it I’d say you just need a new modern Grundfos or similar. The distance between the 2 valves should be 130mm.

the guy that fitted the pump said you can’t get pumps for them anymore or my fittings were different,
All lies.
Your boiler doesn't have a pump in it, your pump is a separate item just connected between two pieces of copper pipe. Boiler is unrelated.

What you have got now is a pump made by Grundfos but branded Vaillant, and would originally have been part of a Vaillant boiler that had the pump inside it.
Theoretically might be reconditioned, rather more likely it was just taken out of an old boiler.

Nah it's impossible to recondition these types of pumps...the parts aren't available.
So many flogging secondhand boiler parts on ebay are now claiming reconditioned.
Standard efficiency pumps haven't been available legally for some time and were initially much more expensive...clearly the cowboy had an old pump on the van.

thanks for all your help & replies guys, much appreciated! I've checked a few places for pumps but there are so many that it's almost impossible to figure out what to buy, looking at Grundfos alone there are at least 20 different models all in 130mm range :eek:

If i could please get some advice on a pump that is suitable for my setup, i believe i have an open vented system according to the last guy that was here, most certainly not a combi boiler. I have 6 rads in total and most are 1400x500mm. I don't really want to splash out on flashy pump yet, reason for this is my system is old as hell and probably full off crap, end of the year i will have saved enough for new boiler,rads and would then prefer to put a flashy pump on a new system so it doesn't have a premature death!

I have seen on toolstation
Wilo Yonos PICO Circulating Pump 25/1-6-130 for £90
Wilo Yonos PICO Circulating Pump 25/1-5-130 for £85
DAB Evosta Central Heating Circulating Pump 40/70-130 £82

Since you don't know what your next boiler will be (and it may have a high heat exchanger resistance) I'd shove the 6m Wilo pump on for the minimal extra cost.

Wilo Yonos PICO Circulating Pump 25/1-6-130

Try it on fixed speed No.2 to start with. The fancy settings are often incompatible with many boilers....and without knowing your full setup it's best to keep it simple.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back