Water in bottom of wood burner flue pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Rebuilt my chimney and installed a flue pipe. The woodburner has a side pipe entry with a removable cup at the bottom. I noticed today water under the bottom of the stove and removed the cup which was full of water. I can only think that the water has found it's way through the top of the pot and the pipe inside. I have only lite the burner once since I rebuilt it during the summer. I live in a fairly exposed area but not sure if it is normal for rain to be blown into the pot. It has a cap on the top.

Attachments

• IMG-20231016-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20231016-WA0001.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20231018_160424.jpg
    IMG_20231018_160424.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 108
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. I am hoping it's something like that as the chimney is really difficult to access

Sponsored Links
I would suggest neither of those cowls are appropriate.
The elephant foot cowl is used for disused flues only .
And I don't think the hood top is suitable for modern wood burners

Hi
The elephant foot is for the bedroom fireplace that is blocked off. I am not sure why the hood top is unsuitable?

Sorry maybe I have named the cowls incorrectly. The capped off chimney is on the left and the wood burner on the right of the stack

I have only lived here just over a year and know that the previous owner ran a wood burner through this chimney which had no liner but used this cowl so I find it strange that they used a capping off cowl? Do you think this is the problem with water entry to the pot?

Probably not helping matters as it will not be extracting efficiently.

Water getting inside the flu could be the clay hood top maybe popped in loose . Water will follow the shape of the cowl and drip off the spigot .

Yes I didn't apply any sealant as there wasn't any applied before I dismantled the chimney. I have ordered a new cowl

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back