water in oil tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

i have some water in my oil tank thanks to the delivery guy loosening the filler fitting and lots of rain getting in.
what is the best way to clean it out on a tight budget ?

Sponsored Links
A long length of small bore plastic pipe fastened to the end of a piece of timber and pushed into the lowest part of the tank and then syphon into a bucket until there is only oil coming out.
It is usual for the tank outlet to be a couple of inches up the side of the tank and for the tank to have a backward slope. These together would mean that a LOT of water would need to be in your tank to cause a problem.

andytw

If its a steel one there is often a drain plug for this purpose at the low end of the tank.

Sponsored Links
Try a water hog from heating suplier you can leave them in for a good whlie
And they only soak up oil

it is a plastic one with no drain plug, i did give it a go with the siphon and got lots of brown gungy stuff out of it............. where does it all come from?

i filled 4 2L plastic bottles with the stuff and i am sure there is more in there

but i have to fix the filler point too, it is a threaded plastic fitting with a large hexagonal nut like fitting inside the tank and the threaded part coming out the top with a spongy washer and a plastic nut to hold it all together, unfortunatly the plastic nut looks like it is cross threaded and jammed half way along the shaft so the spongy seal is not compressed and water can get in.
i think the oil delivery guys just leaving the heavy nozzle and hose hanging in the fitting and dragging it sideways has popped the plastic nut and loosened the fitting.

i will go out and have a go at it when it stops raining.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back