contaminated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Checking on my mums system,the Oil tank had been filled up about a week to 10 days ago.
Its a big cylindrical plastic tank and there was evidence of spillage from the filler area.
Up on the ladder-I find the filler cap (4" diameter) was missing.
I find it later down the side of the tank.
Either the oilman didnt replace it or someones been at the oil.
The problem is its rained heavily since then -will the oil be ruined now?
Im guessing the water would have gone to the bottom so any problems would have surfaced by now?
Would the filter have separated it out?
The boiler is an Aga or rayburn type range -the house was warm this morning.

Any wisdom appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Ah - so its normal to find water in fuel tanks then?

Its most undesirable and there certainly isn't any in mine......maybe your tank filter has a settling bowl where any water can be trapped and then poured away?
(The appliance will have to be turned off for this).
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps
What would be the symptoms/i shown by the boiler(other than not working of course!) if water was drawn in?
There is a red anodised aluminium filter assembly near the tank
I will see if it can be empied out anyway.
That fuel really stinks!!!

Symptoms could be a spluttering burner, eventually going to lock out if there was water present, but its equally not desirable for the effect that water would have on the fuel pump.
With the appliances off, check the filter bowl for water - it will be plain to see, and bleed the filter after if there are bleed screws on the top.
Oil tanks are often positioned with a slight fall away from the outlet to prevent water and sludge ingress.....some also have a drain cock there.
If you do suspect significant water in there, go for Holty's hogs - they are cheap enough.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back