Water ingress around the frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, 1st post of many as I have just bought a new house,

Anyway Ihave water leaking around the back of a UPVC window frame ( all seems fine regarding the window itself i am fairly sure the water is getting between the frame & the wall

Any ideas on how its best to tackle this?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Were not living in it yet, so humidity is super low, not seen any evidence of condensation & the sill/ window is bone dry

Is that single skin brickwork? I ask because you have no sill/reveal to speak of.

Steve

Sponsored Links
No double skin, the photo angle is not particularly good at showing it but there is a sill ( probably about 4 inches )

My current plan of attack it to get outside on the bay below & scrape out all the old mastic & reseal the entire window edge corner

sensible idea?

Water is probably running under the cill and around the edge ...I always put a bead of silicone on the edge of cills ,so the water could only run back out the front again.

Not sure how you can stop the water tracking under the cill and around the frame,without taking the window out.....Maybe a small hole in the rendering and get some foam in there...that may seal it and force the water to run out of the front edge and not around the frame.

Do you mean round the outside?

i REALLY don't want to have to take the window out to sort it

The foam will need to go where the window sits on the cill,so you would need to make a small hole in the rendering and try to get the foam to seal the end of the cill as this is where the water is tracking off the end of the cill and then around the inside of the wall.

Even if the window cill is 100% level,water will still get sucked around the cill where the window sits due to capillary action.So what you need to do is stop this by sealing the end of the cill where the window sits...hence the use of foam...you will need to make sure enough goes in to totally stop water running off the cill and around onto the inside wall.

If the drainage holes are on the face of the window,then you should be able to seal where the window sits on the cill.

If you can't see any drainage holes then they will be underneath the windows outer edge and you can't then seal it,because it will trap water and not have anywhere to drain off.

We might have crossed wires here, the Sill on the inside is bone dry, seems to be coming from around the back of the frame I may be interpreting you wrong though

unless your referring to the sill on the outside.... in which case i see your point as the foam will stop water tracking round into the gap between the frame & the wall

I was referring to the cill outside,the one the window sits on...that's where the water is coming in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back