Water Ingress - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

Having a nightmare with our new FIRST house to say the least!

We noticed some bubbling on laminate, when it rains - downstairs living room (right at the bottom of the skirting board becomes damp- never above) but completely dries out when it's sunny so it's definitely water ingress through rain. I cut out the laminate and had a look and you can see outside through the airbrick, it's more like a vent. Could it be that??? Damp proofer ruled out rising damp, roofer doesn't think so (even though the membrane if flapping and said there would be damp upstairs too, window guy says it's not the window. Who to turn to next?! Do you think it is just water coming through the vent when it rains, especially if it's windy?

How can a qualified surveyor not know either??

See attached pictures (inside and out)

Hope someone can shed some light to our misery

Attachments

• 20220806_123638.jpg
    20220806_123638.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 20220806_123629.jpg
    20220806_123629.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 20220806_123129.jpg
    20220806_123129.jpg
    550.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 20220810_081504.jpg
    20220810_081504.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 100
Sponsored Links
it's more like a vent. Could it be that???

Could you maybe add a temporary metal shield in front of the vent, to try to eliminate that as the potential cause?

I notice a black steak coming down the wall, directly above the vent, I wonder what that is?

I actually have no idea what that streak is! Just seems like staining as the roof said no water marks going down the side

I actually have no idea what that streak is! Just seems like staining as the roof said no water marks going down the side

I also wonder why someone has decided to add an extra vent there at all? Perhaps there was an ongoing issue of damp at that location and that was an attempt to resolve it.

Sponsored Links
In the past maybe yeah, I've had two qualified (CSRT) PCA registered damp surveyors out though who have said there is no damp present there! The airvents were put in for subfloor ventilation, there are 3 at the front and 3 at the back. No issues of water ingress from any of those apart from this one!

you can get leaks anywhere up stream from the roof down and find its way down the cavity and hit the vent and dflect in
is it a hollow wall and whats in it ??

Yeah I did ask a roofer if the gap by the bay window flat roof was causing the ingress and he said not really possible! Between the vent it's just cavity. There insulation between the cavity but not where the leak is..

Is there some sort of company that detect water like thermal imaging maybe??

you can get very small endoscope probes for a lap top or phone that can go through a small hole drilled through the mortar from ebay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back