Water IS hazardous!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have in front of me a page from the BDH Health and Safety Information Manual. This came from my sister, who was in the same trade as me - Food Science.

This manual lists all properties of chemicals etc, and precautions.

Under "WATER" is listed:

Firefighting Measures: N/A

Health hazard: No significant HH - may be irritating to eyes.

No evidence of carcinogenic properties (next to this had been written the name of a well kneaun water....)

First Aid: Irrigate eyes thoroughly with water.

Lungs - remove from exposure.

Skin - wash off thoroughly with soap and water.

Mouth - wash out mouth with water. In severe cases, obtain medical attention.

Reaction with water - none.

Spillage disposal: Wear appropriate clothing (Next to which was written "Bikini?")

Mop up with plenty of water, diluting greatly with running water.

Wash site thoroughly with soap & water.

If it has entered surface drains, it may be necessary to inform the LA.

Protective measures: Gloves, Eye protection, Apron & Boots.

So now you have no excuse - you know what to do when you come into contact with the dreaded H2O.... :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Sparkodia ... ( not in Olympics this time then ?)

When did you make the changeover from food to leccy then ?
Not so easy to change when out of the normal age range ... I found that, when taking up engineering.... But then things may have changed, could still hear the echo of the last Dinosaur in my youth :cry:

P

THis is somewhat humourous. The first step to your eyes coming into contact with water is to irrigate them with... Water!

ZenStalinist said:
THis is somewhat humourous. The first step to your eyes coming into contact with water is to irrigate them with... Water!

You jest ... of course ! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Thankyou for this invaluable information. Next time I see a child crying, I'll be sure to run and grab my garden hose and set about washing the water out of their eyes... with water.

These are the bits that make me laugh...

securespark said:
1. Health hazard: No significant HH - may be irritating to eyes.

Followed by:

2. First Aid: Irrigate eyes thoroughly with water.

Then:

3. Lungs - remove from exposure.

You don't say!

And

securespark said:
4. If it has entered surface drains, it may be necessary to inform the LA.

{SFX ring ring}. "Hello, is that XYZ council? I think you should know that 25,000 gallons of water have just entered the surface drains around the borough.......and there may be more to follow."

Sparkodia cried:
4. If it has entered surface drains, it may be necessary to inform the LA.
{SFX ring ring}. "Hello, is that XYZ council? I think you should know that 25,000 gallons of water have just entered the surface drains around the borough.......and there may be more to follow."

Reply from council...
"We have the answer ... Floods !! We must save the drains .. perhaps some lottery funding, hopefully from one of the miriad of winners in the nick .... We could weld covers on drains .. maybe get the odd Grand Pri cks, or three when waters subside .... help keep the lid on property prices ... raises the insurance premia aids the pension funds " ....

Stockport becomes littler Venice !!
:(

P

Talking of floods, and thinking of planning permission .... Saw prog on tv ref property values in areas prone to flooding. A couple living in the countryside had protected their home and its value by raising the level of the ground by building a bank in an arc facing the river which runs at the bottom of their garden ... very tastefully done, in fact the bank in question was highlighted in the film by have a 'net' superimposed upon it .. otherwise it was difficult to see the beginning and end .....
Yep, council says '..No permission .. REMOVE IT ! Could affect flooding and therefore properties further downstream" Oh, great and what about the caravan sites appearing over Bank holidays (therefore no council staff able to visit for 3 or 4 days .. whoops !! job done, roads, hard standing etc ) ?
Without permission ... of course that doesn't affect surrounding properties !!

P

The way the council rigidly apply the rules to some and not others rankles, somewhat. In fact, I'm sure that statement is true about many an organisation.....

My parents live in a small town on the Thames, the houses by the river get flooded to an extent pretty much every year!

As I understand it, once the insurance has paid out to fix the house, they then sell asap. Because to get re-insured on a house that has been flooded is a pricey affair. But somehow if it was flooded before you bought it, it isn't so bad. Weird.

I am sure those people who built their own earth bank will understand, after all the council are always there with a truckload of sandbags when the floods do come... sandbags look MUCH nicer than a barely-visible green verge. Especially when they arrive AFTER the floods start...

Of course water can be hazardous! especially if it's boiling :)

Saw prog on tv ref property values in areas prone to flooding. A couple living in the countryside had protected their home and its value by raising the level of the ground by building a bank in an arc facing the river which runs at the bottom of their garden
I saw that one a couple of years ago. If I remember rightly, the couple concerned had been actively campaining, on behalf of the whole community, to get some protection scheme in place. They then put the bank in, to protect their own property, as an interim measure. They were then promptly shopped, by the very community, that they had been campaining for!

Sponsored Links
Back