Water keeps overflowing into the pan after cistern refill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My 2 year old newish cistern has had an intermittent issue of water overflowing into the pan after a refill.

If any of the dual push buttons is pressed gently, the overflow stops. One can also hear something snap through a vacuum the button is pressed to stop the overflow.

I am hoping this might be a simple fix. If someone can guide, I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Take the flush mechanism out, they're often on a bayonet type fitting, it may be scaled up.
Or, the cable (if it has one) may have too sharp a bend in it, try and re-route it.

Check the flush mechanism for a breakage.

Sorry there is no cable or breakage of any type. Its a push button type, so can't have cable anyway.
It sounds like a sticking valve or a restriction that is disallowing its free movement back to close position.

Sponsored Links
Its a push button type, so can't have cable anyway

A lot of push button cisterns are either a cable connection or a pressure tube that connect remotely from the back of the button to the flush valve.

I presume though yours may have a dual button in the lid that presses down, via rods, onto the flush valve below?

You may find that it just needs the rods adjusted, mechanical triggers like these do wear and need periodical adjustment/cleaned.

I presume though yours may have a dual button in the lid that presses down, via rods, onto the flush valve below?

You may find that it just needs the rods adjusted, mechanical triggers like these do wear and need periodical adjustment/cleaned.

I do have a dual button that presses down and the underlying movement with rods is all clear.

I suspect something in the flush valve is not moving freely. To stop the water, all I do is press one of the dual buttons gently and I can hear something pop, and water stops flowing in the pan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back