Water keeps running from bath tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a new combi-boiler fitted after having no hot water/heating for 2 weeks! The first time the wife had a bath, once finished after rinsing the bath out & the cold water tap wouldn't turn off. I presumed this was a faulty tap so popped to Screwfix and fitted a new one. The same thing has just happened with the new one. Surely this cannot be a coincidence? Anyone heard of this happening before? Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Does the tap control the flow of water ,as in can you increase and decrease the water flow ,but when you try to close fully it's just dripping ? Or is it continuing to flow non stop ?

IMG_20200403_214410.jpg

Hope the picture explains! The one that I replaced was similar.

Sponsored Links
Well the tap valve/s are not closing fully. Looks like you have a duff tap. Very odd though ,would be a huge coincidence. It's possible that there is some debris coming through and blocking the valve . Do you have isolation valves on the hot and cold supplies to the bath ,do you know if it's the hot or cold that continues to flow from the bath tap ?

Does the tap control the flow of water ,as in can you increase and decrease the water flow ,but when you try to close fully it's just dripping ? Or is it continuing to flow non stop ?
Thanks for the swift reply Terry, I've posted a picture of the tap when the tap is closed fully. The water trickles out.

Yes ,I seen it prior to my last post. Can you please respond to that.

Well the tap valve/s are not closing fully. Looks like you have a duff tap. Very odd though ,would be a huge coincidence. It's possible that there is some debris coming through and blocking the valve . Do you have isolation valves on the hot and cold supplies to the bath ,do you know if it's the hot or cold that continues to flow from the bath tap ?
It's coming from the cold supply again. Isolation valves are present on both pipes.

Open both taps fully and let water flow out for 5 mins, hoping you will large crud pop out.

Isolate both supplies , remove the cold taps valve and inspect it for impurities. post a picture here if need be showing the bottom ,inside ,of the valve where the white ceramic discs are.
Whilst the valve is removed ,and covering around the tap ( where the valve has been removed ) with a large towel ,open PARTIALLY the cold isolator to flush water out from where the valve was.

Isolate both supplies , remove the cold taps valve and inspect it for impurities. post a picture here if need be showing the bottom ,inside ,of the valve where the white ceramic discs are.
Whilst the valve is removed ,and covering around the tap ( where the valve has been removed ) with a large towel ,open PARTIALLY the cold isolator to flush water out from where the valve was.
Thanks Terry, I will try this first thing in the morning.

Today I dismantled the cold tapa cleaned the inside ceramic valve, this seems to have solved the issue. Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back