Water leak in apartment below -- not sure why

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks,

Been having a plumbing problem for the last week that we're having trouble resolving. Sequence of events:

Last Monday
The lady from the apartment below this one knocked on my door and said water was leaking through their ceiling. It seemed to occur shortly after me having a shower. The leak downstairs was in a different room though, it wasn't directly underneath my bathroom. I avoided using any water in the house just in case, and then Tuesday started to use toilet, sinks etc again. Assumed it was water leaking down the side of the walls and bath.

Last Wednesday
We sealed the bath and tiles. Had a shower on Thursday, and no further knocking, so it seemed to have done the job.

Monday
Shortly after I had a shower, the door knocked again. The lady downstairs had been away for a few days and just come home, and it was leaking again, and worse. So at this point, we called the landlord in...

Tuesday
A plumber came by, looked around, and decided it was more than likely the shower/bath needed resealing and retiling and whatnot. Said to test the theory by not using the shower, only having baths, and then if no more leakage it could be put down to leakage over the bath sides etc.

Wednesday
Only tap I used in the house all day was the bath taps, to wash my hands earlier. And this evening, the lady knocked again after she got in, to say there was even more leaking. The landlord's friend came to look at it, and was baffled.

My current theory is that it must be a problem with the bath drainage at some point. It seems it's not just water getting over the sides, it's all water going down the plughole in the bath that's ending up downstairs. I'm thinking that there's a leak somewhere between the plughole and the drain outside.

I think the landlord's sending another plumber here tomorrow, but until then, I'm stuck with no water and just looking for more info. Any ideas? I'm most grateful for any help.

A couple of potentially related (but I suspect just separate) problems:
-The hot water boiler has been switched off for 2-3 years, since it started an unholy screeching one day.
-The stopcock under the kitchen sink doesn't actually seem to work, we found out tonight.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a waste pipe leak.
you say the leak is not in a room below the shower/bath, the leak could be anywhere between the shower/bath to the soil stack.

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't seem like the toilet or the bathroom sink contribute to leaks (I'm not sure, but this is assumption based on timings)... Would the bath have its own separate waste pipe?

The toilet will be seperate.
The bath can be seperate to the basin or joined depending on your bathroom layout and where the main soil stack is in relation to bath, basin.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, this was an old problem, but did persist for a while. Trial and error found that it was due to a problem with the toilet, it's now fixed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back