water leak on plasterboard under floorboards (first floor)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Having my house rewired at the minute, the electrician has lifted floor boards and in one room and there is mould visible on the plasterboard below.

There’s no visible signs of any water leakage and it’s only in the one room (rest of house looks fine)

The house did have a slight smell but we assumed it was due to the previous occupants dogs

Any idea what it could be? Being a weekend not been able to get a hold of someone to come and look just yet.

Thanks

Attachments

• 225547D8-81D4-436D-A0CF-DDE5FCFD4327.jpeg
    225547D8-81D4-436D-A0CF-DDE5FCFD4327.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 88
Sponsored Links
Possible to be a previous water leak?

Failing this it could be a condensation issue, but wouldnt be first guess due to location - is it towards an external wall?

that's pretty bad, and enough mould to look like long-term damp rather than a one-off overflow.

Is it near a bathroom? Or radiator pipes?

Bay windows can leak, as can downpipes and gutters.

More rarely, a disabled person may have a commode or other device, but you would notice the smell.

Possible to be a previous water leak?

Failing this it could be a condensation issue, but wouldnt be first guess due to location - is it towards an external wall?
Trying to find out if there has been leak previously

yes it close to an external wall and near a bay window

Sponsored Links
that's pretty bad, and enough mould to look like long-term damp rather than a one-off overflow.

Is it near a bathroom? Or radiator pipes?

Bay windows can leak, as can downpipes and gutters.

More rarely, a disabled person may have a commode or other device, but you would notice the smell.
I thought that, just awaiting some mould and damp guys to call me back

It is next to the bathroom, was unable to look in there as all the tiling will need to come up to look under the boards

It’s close to a radiator and the bay window

There is a urine like smell now however we didn’t really notice it until about a month ago but with the flooring up it’s horrid

It is next to the bathroom...There is a urine like smell

pretty sure to be a leak on the WC or soilpipe then. You need a plumber, not a damp man.

The tiling will have to come up, and the floor beneath may need replacing.

pretty sure to be a leak on the WC or soilpipe then. You need a plumber, not a damp man.

The tiling will have to come up, and the floor beneath may need replacing.
Thank you for getting back to me

Is it worth getting a damp guy in to look or just call a plumber stating you think there’s a leak somewhere

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back