water leak, staining on wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I have an interesting problem relating to my roof?
The back wall of the house beneath the guttering and eaves, which is North facing, is showing water staining on the corner.
As the house is linked detached I thought the wind was driving the rain down the side of the house and this was staining the wall, but not so sure.
Have I got a tile issue?, any help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
are the tiles concrete interlocking,if yes,check the sarking felt under the eaves course,is it rotten?.if yes, it needs replacing.also check tiles for breakage,they are prone to break down the length which is difficult to spot from the ground,do any of the tiles have large corners missing,remember to look at the part of the tile that locks under the tile adjacent to it,if it is broken above it's overlap with the tile below it you will get water ingress,if all of this is o.k have a look at the verge of the roof is the mortar crumbling,if yes ,it will need rebedding, repointing is no good ,generally the joint between the undercloak and the tile is too big to repoint and the mortar tends to fall out,if this needs to be done check also that the felt laps onto the undercloak and hasn't dropped into the cavity.if it has you will need to strip 2 or 3 rows of tiles from the eaves to the ridge and fit new felt under the tile batten .if the tiles are rosemary (small oblong tiles approx 10"x6")or slates the applies,but there is much more work involved. hope this help. if all the above is o.k i give up,(i'm going for a lie down now,my brain hurts)

Cheers Bendylow for the exhaustive and detailed reply, you certainly know your stuff!
I think the tiles are concrete in keeping with every other house in the area, do you have a rough guide to the cost of replacing the sarking?
The really wierd thing is that both houses in the row are also dispalaying the same symptoms albeit in lesser degrees.
I am going to get my ladder out and have a poke about and see whats happening.
Thanks again!!

Sponsored Links
Probably the sarking ,as the guys have said .......but do the tiles have a kind of inverted V on them , cuz we`ve got problems with that type on my son`s house :cry:

sarking felt isn't very expensive,round our way it's about £10 for a 20m roll.1 roll will be plenty,but remember,this too will eventually rot.you can also get a plastic or breathable membrane both of these cost about £25 for a 50m roll but they last much longer,having said that,the plastic tends to curl up after a while.fitting is quite simple and is as follows; push back the third row,lift off the second and first row,CAREFULLY lift the battens and de-nail them (try not to damage the felt) a small flat nail bar should do the trick (try to keep the nail bar on the rafter to avoid damaging the felt) if the battens are starting to rot change them,they cost pennies and it's worth it.once the tiles and battens are removed,ease the old felt off the rafters,try not to rip it(easier said than done).now you're ready to fit the new felt,measure the distance from the top of the second batten(you'll see a witness of it on the old felt where it was nailed to the rafter)to the front edge of the fascia board then add 4"(100mm).this gives you the width of the new felt,then measure the length and cut the new felt.once cut you need to roll it up,get it up to the working area and roll it out again,this is where another pair of hands are needed,you now need to slot it under the old felt as far as it will go and with someone at either end use a see-saw motion to get it into it's final position,ideally 50mm above the second batten and 50mm into the gutter(hence the extra 100mm).if it stays in place,then refit/renew the battens,if it slips fix it with felt tacks.then re-lay the tiles and jobs a gud-un.points to note;don't let the felt hang too far into the gutter,50mm max,you don't want felt lying in the bottom of the gutter.don't cut the old felt,just remove the rotten flaky bits,you will need to re-bed the verge.this job is really a 2 man venture and you should use scaffold.i can feel another lie down coming on.hope this is of use to you. OH YEAH,while i think about it,nige f,the tiles you mentioned ,i can't remember who makes them but they are called delta's (i think it's marley) and they are a complete pain in the proverbial a*** in fact i'm pretty sure they have stopped making them now.

Yeah, Deltas seems right :idea: the whole roof`s got to come off and be re done :eek: the roofing co. has had problems with them before .......I trust these roofers, my old Father-in Law(master builder) used them for years (god rest him)so it`s no Bull........just a bad design and stretched headlap from early 70`s block of flats :cry:

bendylow said:
sarking felt isn't very expensive,round our way it's about £10 for a 20m roll.1 roll will be plenty,but remember,this too will eventually rot.you can also get a plastic or breathable membrane both of these cost about £25 for a 50m roll but they last much longer,having said that,the plastic tends to curl up after a while.fitting is quite simple and is as follows; push back the third row,lift off the second and first row,CAREFULLY lift the battens and de-nail them (try not to damage the felt) a small flat nail bar should do the trick (try to keep the nail bar on the rafter to avoid damaging the felt) if the battens are starting to rot change them,they cost pennies and it's worth it.once the tiles and battens are removed,ease the old felt off the rafters,try not to rip it(easier said than done).now you're ready to fit the new felt,measure the distance from the top of the second batten(you'll see a witness of it on the old felt where it was nailed to the rafter)to the front edge of the fascia board then add 4"(100mm).this gives you the width of the new felt,then measure the length and cut the new felt.once cut you need to roll it up,get it up to the working area and roll it out again,this is where another pair of hands are needed,you now need to slot it under the old felt as far as it will go and with someone at either end use a see-saw motion to get it into it's final position,ideally 50mm above the second batten and 50mm into the gutter(hence the extra 100mm).if it stays in place,then refit/renew the battens,if it slips fix it with felt tacks.then re-lay the tiles and jobs a gud-un.points to note;don't let the felt hang too far into the gutter,50mm max,you don't want felt lying in the bottom of the gutter.don't cut the old felt,just remove the rotten flaky bits,you will need to re-bed the verge.this job is really a 2 man venture and you should use scaffold.i can feel another lie down coming on.hope this is of use to you. Oh YEAH,while i think about it,nige f,the tiles you mentioned ,i can't remember who makes them but they are called delta's (i think it's marley) and they are a complete pain in the proverbial a*** in fact i'm pretty sure they have stopped making them now.

:eek:

enter_key.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back