Water leak under floor/into the cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All. I have had a lot of knowledgeable information from this forum in the past so I'm confident I will get help with this annoying issue.

I'll try best to summarise the issue. Water started to leak into my terraced property cellar around the front in 2013 to which I had Yorkshire Water/Environmental Health/Council come out to check in turn to assess the issue. They dye-tested our water and the neighbours but they came back negative. Also checked the drains for cracks and again negative. So it was left as that. Then the floor at the entrance to the rear of the property started to get gaps under the skirting boards which increased to more than 2 inches towards the beginning of 2015. The floor in that area also started to sag to the point where in mid-2015 it was getting a right bounce as if it was about to fall through. Getting sick of it and thinking the answer lies underneath, I started to take up the laminate, then the floor boards to find the floorboards had dry rot all the way across the window side of the house. Under that 2 joists had absolutely crumbled away (hence the floor sagging). There was water in the soil filled cellar all the way across which was clearly evident. This now seemed a much bigger problem than previously anticipated.
To cut short, Yorkshire water were called again. They dye-tested and found neighbour's gulley to be the cause so it was repaired. Dye-tested again, and this time positive result again which was neighbour's old sewer pipe which was no longer used but was open, going into the ground so that was sorted. Now we realised the water initially going into the front cellar, started here, at the rear of the property and travelled through the soil-filled rear cellar, into the front. Now that water stopped although there was still land water evident around the rear of the property, it seemed to have solved the issue. It was dry for about 4 months through a lot of rain until about a week ago when it started to leak water again despite the repairs being carried out.

Now I'm at a standstill as to what to do or how to locate this source of this water and how to stop it? I'll try and put some images up later when I've downloaded them from my phone to perhaps make it easier to understand. Help/advice much appreciated as this has been going on for a long time and Yorkshire Water won't pay any compensation either despite their pipes being at fault. IF you need to ask anything, please do and I will reply ASAP.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the surrounding soil is saturated from your neighbours pipe then it will not be able to soak up the rain. I think you cannot make any decision until next winter,because this will give the ground all summer to get back to its natural water level, which will rise again next winter.
You could try to expedite matters by digging a sump and putting a sump pump in it.The problem is then where to pump the water to? (must be lower then your cellar floor)
I have a similar problem, dropping the internal floor level of a barn lower then the present 17" below the ground level at the back. I had a little leakage from the underneath of the back wall which was half expected, but I also had a puddle appear right in the centre of the barn!.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back