Water leak

So, I've had a damp investigation carried out and they determined that this ingress is indeed because of the lack of any lead trays in the stack.
Heavy rain permeates the 130 year old brickwork and pointing down to where the stack meets the roof and subsequently wicks up the roof slope around the chimney.

The proper way to rectify this would be to rebuild the stack with a lead tray, the surveyor was of the opinion that rebuilding isn't necessary and that repointing, applying stormdry masonry cream and fitting rain covers on the pots will sort the problem.
I have read mixed reviews on Stormdry, but if I plan to move house within say 5-10 years, could this be a viable fix?

Sponsored Links
The lead on the side of the chimney on the slate side isn't normally done like that! it is normally done using soakers.

So I've managed to get some much better photos of the mess that is my roof/chimney.
I would like to hear some people's opinions on what I am dealing with here and what others would do, I have had a 1st quote for a chimney overhaul consisting of the following.
Removing vertical stack slates
Repointing stack where necessary
Remove old flaunching and replace
Fit proper soakers
Replace damaged, poor fitting, loose slates around stack
Supply and fit pepperpots to all open pots
Replace damaged plain tiles
Applying storm dry to all faces of original stack

Rebuilding the stack completely is obviously an option but if I can avoid that by overhauling then that is preferred, a ball park figure to rebuild the stack was £10k... whereas the above overhaul including scaffolding was half of that, which seems high?
TIA

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • 5.PNG
    5.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • 6.PNG
    6.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 26
  • 7.PNG
    7.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 8.PNG
    8.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 9.PNG
    9.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • 10.PNG
    10.PNG
    1,005.4 KB · Views: 32
Sponsored Links
Bump, any advice or thoughts here would be much appreciated.
Keen to finally get this rectified without throwing more money than is necessary at it.
TIA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back