Water leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I had some roofing repairs carried out. The main one being a chimney stack that was letting water in around the back gutter, they confirmed the lead had split and replaced it and i settled up with them.
Last night's storm meant rain for hours and water is again dripping down the walls as it always had.
Reached out to them, they claim may be some water still in the chimney...and that the chimney clearly had previous issues with one side tiled. They suggested to let it dry out before making a decision on further works....
What do I do

Sponsored Links
Water in the form of heavy rain can come down the flue, or through poor or missing pointing. Posting some pics would help.

Blup

20231102_081504.jpg

20231102_081459.jpg

20231102_081409.jpg

Not great pictures but I hope it gives some perspective, everything within the yellow line is damp to the point of it beading down the wall after heavy rain, moreso on the blue upper section.
It look's as though it starts from the valley further up and then comes down and pools around the chimney stack and down.

Attachments

• pro-ELULe4NQ.jpeg
    pro-ELULe4NQ.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 65
Sponsored Links
If the scaffolding is still there can you get a pic of the back gutter and some close ups of the dormer section and state of the brickwork on the chimney including the pots. The starting point would be inadequate work by the roofer if the problem remains, but equally if the cause is something different the work wouldn't have made a difference.

Blup

Re reading your second post there's probably been a bodge on repairing the back gutter, it's also possible the water has got under the tiles

Blup

I fell off a ladder pretty badly years ago so heights or ladders for that matter are not my strong point unfortunately.
I am waiting for the roofer to come back and inspect the work his staff carried out, he has already suggested it could be the stack tray in which case a new chimney is required... Not so sure on that so shortlisting other roofers to take a look also.

Identify which pot relates to the flue in question, take a look in the loft for any signs of damp. Replacing the stack tray won't stop rain getting in through the open pot. Ask him for pics of the back gutter when he's up there. The chimney needs repointing.

Blup

Short valley to front gutter looks a bit rough from what I can see .
Couple of slate tiles look loose or have gaps .

Identify which pot relates to the flue in question, take a look in the loft for any signs of damp. Replacing the stack tray won't stop rain getting in through the open pot. Ask him for pics of the back gutter when he's up there. The chimney needs repointing.

Blup
I have a telescopic inspection camera on charge to take a look from the loft later as the area is boarded up so will try that before ripping boards/insulation up.
I will request photos of the back gutter and pots.
What are your thoughts on the right side of the stack being tiled in slate, it's not something I've seen before, presumably to protect the pointing?

Really appreciate your input so far.

Short valley to front gutter looks a bit rough from what I can see .
Couple of slate tiles look loose or have gaps .
Good spot, it does indeed look rough. No sign of any damp in that location internally though, all seems to be on the opposite side of the red/white stack, exactly where those tiles are that have gaps...and going up towards the valley as per my previous photo with yellow outline.
Thanks

There is a few things it might be . Not enough pictures .
Tray issue a definite possibility ..

I have a telescopic inspection camera on charge to take a look from the loft later as the area is boarded up so will try that before ripping boards/insulation up.
I will request photos of the back gutter and pots.
What are your thoughts on the right side of the stack being tiled in slate, it's not something I've seen before, presumably to protect the pointing?

Really appreciate your input so far.
The pitch looks steep enough to suit slate which is presumably original, while the brickwork of the left hand chimney and tile roof, look newer, maybe an extension, or because of similar problems with water ingress.

Blup

Sorry I mean there are actual slate tiles hung vertically on the side of the chimney if you look closely in the photos.
But yes, you are bang on slate was original house, left chimney was part of the extension on the left, a shoddily built one at that.

I have never understood the logic of situating a chimney (or dormer for that matter) in the middle of a valley.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back