Water leaking from heating coil into cylinder?

Get the expansion vessel checked in the boiler, its most probably flat and overpressurising your central heating system causing leaks.

The plumber (I keep calling him a plumber, but he's a Gas Safe installer) seemed satisfied that the expansion vessel was fine - after he replaced the PRV for one which didn't leak, we pressurized the system and when the boiler was running it rose to about 2.5 bar. He said that if the expansion vessel was flat then it would go higher than that and water would start coming out of the PRV.

Oh dear! Going up to 2.5 bar means nothing without knowing what it was when cold.

I suspect that is the problem.

Set to 1.5 cold and tell us what it is when hot!

Sponsored Links
Get the expansion vessel checked in the boiler, its most probably flat and overpressurising your central heating system causing leaks.

The plumber (I keep calling him a plumber, but he's a Gas Safe installer) seemed satisfied that the expansion vessel was fine - after he replaced the PRV for one which didn't leak, we pressurized the system and when the boiler was running it rose to about 2.5 bar. He said that if the expansion vessel was flat then it would go higher than that and water would start coming out of the PRV.

Oh dear! Going up to 2.5 bar means nothing without knowing what it was when cold.

I suspect that is the problem.

Set to 1.5 cold and tell us what it is when hot!

It was 1.5 when cold.

Ok, so it appears all other cold outlets are cistern fed. Could be worth emptying the cistern again then, and baling out whatever muck is left in the bottom, although you wont be able to do the same with the cylinder unless you drain and remove it.

Sponsored Links
Well from 1.5 bar it should not go up by more than about 0.3 bar.

Clearly the expansion vessel is not absorbing any expansion.

Its air charge pressure needs to be checked!

I am not impressed.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back