water main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
i would be very pleased if someone could give me any ideas on my parents incoming water pipe.

they live in a 1960 built house. the main coming in is black. the stop cock does not work which i would like to replace.

i asked at the local pluming shop but they were unable to help.

the fitting on the house side of the stop cock appears to be a 3/4 tap connector which the shop tells me should not be the case but should be a normal compression olive fitting. i dont want to remove the incoming fitting which looks untouched incase i cant get it to reseal. any thoughts would be appreaciated.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like black alkethene. Is there any writing on the black pipe? If so, what colour is the writing?

Alkethene will be imperial measurements and usually class C or D (relating to pipe wall thickness)

I asked at the local pluming shop but they were unable to help

Have you tried your local decent plumbing shop?

Have a look here for other posts on alkethene pipe

Hi BoxBasher

thanks for prompt reply.

No writing visable. cant account for shop they have been around for 20 years.

Sponsored Links
cowboy said:
Hi BoxBasher

thanks for prompt reply.

No writing visable. cant account for shop they have been around for 20 years.

Are they a proper plumbers merchants or just a hardware shop that happens to sell plumbing stuff?

Try a dedicated plumbers merchants (advice will cost nothing other than a journey)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back