Water mains being laid down drive way - ducting/insulation??

G

gcltd

Hi, I just want to confirm this should be 750mm deep ? Also I noticed Severn Trent requested insulation and ducting? Do you know which products? What size ducting? As everyone I ask can recommend duct or insulation but they've not heard of doing both? Many thanks

Sponsored Links
750mm - 1350mm deep. You don't need insulation on the pipe when it's buried this deep, the ground provides it. In places where it comes shallower than 750mm, for example, where it rises to meet the stoptap, or under suspended flooring it needs insulation. Ducting and insulation is required where it passes through the footings or similar obstacles, and should be sealed at both ends. If encased in concrete, full ducting is required and allows the pipe to be withdrawn for repair. (Something I've not had to try as yet).
Following best practice, the pipe in the trench should be "blinded" (surrounded) with sand, soft earth, or pea gravel, no sharp stones. This protects the MDPE from possible damage in the future. You wouldn't want to be digging up the drive again.

750mm deep is what they recommend and a lot of people use Armaflex insulation 90mm external 30mm internal (depending on pipe size) then use a flexi 100mm duct similar to land drain pipe.
If you telephone them they will tell you.

Sponsored Links
750mm deep is what they recommend and a lot of people use Armaflex insulation 90mm external 30mm internal (depending on pipe size) then use a flexi 100mm duct similar to land drain pipe.

Why such a large duct where its 750 mm deep?

Why such a large duct where its 750 mm deep?

If you use 90mm armaflex you will need a duct that is big enough and 100mm fits the bill.
Smaller insulation could mean using a smaller duct.
Severn trent will tell him what is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back