water meter, mains water pressure and electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a 8.4 kw electric shower fed from mains water supply, this shower worked fine all beit not good pressure but satisfatory. Last year I went to water meter and I find when gardening the hose pressure is not good although house tap pressure doesnt seem to be much different????

The main problem is my electric shower is on some days unusable as only a small flow comes out so we have to stand right under the shower and cling to the wall to get wet!!!!! Other days it is just about useable.

Can anyone please help with advise? I am considering either a booster pump for overall water pressure, change of shower to electric pump shower, and or call Anglia Water to test water pressure! Should this be by law a minimum pressure? I like a shower to give a heafty blast of spray. Where the shower is situated I only have cold water feed.

PLESE HELP - Thx in advance - trebor

Sponsored Links
No 1, you can't pump the mains
No 2, the pressure of water the water authority have to provide is very low indeed

If yu have a store of water- ie big tank in the loft, you can pump that.

Check the stop valve in with the meter, in the hole in the pavement or wherever the meter is, is fully open.

The mains water pressure does change though the day - it's lowest when everyone is using it! It is also possible that when the meter was installed some dirt entered the pipe and it is now blocking your shower.

Thx for the help. I may look into having a header tank in the loft to feed the shower via a pump. It may be easier to put a tank in my garage as the shower is a downstairs shower and its next to the garage, would this lose head pressure with it being several meters lower though? My loft is small and innacessable!

Anyway thx for the advise

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back