Water meter not working (no display)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our water supplier has contacted us to say they couldn't get a reading from our meter.

The water meter sits inside the building and has a digital dial, upon checking I could see that no digits are showing.

Is there anyway to bring it back to life or test it?

I am assuming they draw their power from some residual current passing through the water/pipes rather than a battery.

Sponsored Links
SMARTMETER SME150
20180616_144857.jpg

Sponsored Links
Some water meters use the turbine in the flow to both produce flow rate pulses for metering and also to generate sufficient electrical power to supply the needs of the meter.

The lack of display may be due to the flow through the meter being too small to generate adequate power. The display would be the first thing that would be de-powered in that situation. The measured totals would be cointed and held in non volatile memory so accuraccy would ( should ) be retained..

Thanks.
There has been no significant change to the flow rate and we have quite good pressure but I might do some test with full flow

According to the spec, the meter is powered by a battery with a 15 year life. Presumably that's what the cable is connected to. The meter is dated 06/2016, so it's well within its expected life.

In any case, the meter is not your property; it belongs to your water company. So it's not your problem.

Attachments

• SM150.pdf
    1,006.1 KB · Views: 327
According to the spec, the meter is powered by a battery with a 15 year life. Presumably that's what the cable is connected to. The meter is dated 06/2016, so it's well within its expected life.

In any case, the meter is not your property; it belongs to your water company. So it's not your problem.
Thank you - that is good to know.
The cable goes to a small box on the outside wall. I always assumed this was for them to take meter readings remotely. The 2016 must be the expiration date as its been there as long as we have which is about 10 years. You are correct it is their problem, but I have a feeling it will cause me more problems if they have to come in and change it because of the very limited access to where it is and whoever boxed it in previously, so for my own benefit I could do with sorting.

Our water supplier has contacted us to say they couldn't get a reading from our meter.

its an intelligent water meter,pity the water supplier is not so intelligent.

just need to email your water company,tell them there is no digital display and you want it repaired :whistle:

Meter - cable - box on outside wall. Their battery box ? Maybe their batteries have failed early. Are they allowed to demolish half your kitchen to get @ their meter ? Are you allowed to fiddle with their meter ?:unsure:

Meter - cable - box on outside wall. Their battery box ? Maybe their batteries have failed early. Are they allowed to demolish half your kitchen to get @ their meter ? Are you allowed to fiddle with their meter ?:unsure:
Thats the issue, if I fiddle and cant fix it they will accuse me of tampering at which point it will cost me a lot more :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back