Water meter stopcock key - where to buy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
upload_2020-1-24_17-55-42.png

Southern Water in the Hampshire area seem to use a key for the stopcock that is completely different from any available in shops, etc. Where can I buy one as someone has stolen mine?

I can't take a decent picture of it as it is down a long hole in the garden but will try to describe it. The top of the tap has a “screwdriver” slot across it about 8mm wide, 25mm long and 12mm deep with a rounded bottom. In the centre is a 10mm hole drilled to about 15mm deep. So the plastic key has a central 10mm spigot with wings to engage the slot.

The nearest I can find is the right hand side of the above photo but it is too small all over and the proper one has the spigot sticking out more with the wings much fatter and longer. Plus the whole key is 200mm long.

SW very unhelpfully declined to sell me one and could only suggest trying online etc. but have had no joy so far.

Forming a metal bar into a flat screwdriver of 25mm by 8mm could do it but not ideal without the central spigot to locate it. Or flatten the end of a 15 or 22mm copper pipe and file the edges down to form a spigot.

This pic is not of mine but the top part of the key is similar:

upload_2020-1-24_18-22-18.png

Sponsored Links
take a neighbours. I always do. Just put it back afterwards

Sponsored Links
Tesco supermarkets sell the top pic one - in the aisle that has the pound stuff.

Try looking at screwfix.com - they do a lot of utility keys

Here are some real photos of the key and valve. It does have a 10mm hex on the end although not all similar valves have the hex shaped recess as this one is rounded off. Putting “water meter stopcock key” into Google and looking at all the many images that come up does not show an any key remotely like this one.

A 10mm Allen key might do it and Screwfix’s https://www.screwfix.com/p/monument...D9qFNBJD4HxOO8zSNbRoCe3cQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds might go on the outside of the valve stem. It won’t generate much torque with such a sloppy fit but fortunately these valves don’t need much.

The correct dimensions I should have quoted above are that is has a “screwdriver” slot across it about 6mm wide, 20mm long and 7mm deep with a rounded bottom. In the centre is a 11mm hole drilled to about 13mm deep.

Attachments

• IMAG0558[1].jpg
    IMAG0558[1].jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 1,646
  • IMAG0559[1].jpg
    IMAG0559[1].jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 1,178
  • IMAG0568[1].jpg
    IMAG0568[1].jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 2,635

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back