Where is my void then?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Progressing a project to generally improve the floor in the lounge/diner. Found loads of problems, but one I thought I'd seek some advice over.

as I've written loads, I thought I'd best come back to the top and write a little summary... the ventilation void under a chipboard floor is tiny!

As part of the works I was planning to insulate between the joists using earth/mineral wool on wire mesh. Problem I've found is the room is made of two halves of sub floor. The older part is 1890s with a 1960s extension (might have been lots of the 1890s stuff replaced by the looks of it). It has a reasonable void of about 125/150mm. The 1980s extension is somewhat different. it has a concrete subfloor with a tiny 50mm void. I'm thinking that it is already somewhat dodgy! The void is 125mm if you go off the underside of the chipboard. I was planning to use 50mm deep mineral wool as the joists are only 75mm, but that'll make my tiny void pretty much non-existent. so now I'm thinking to leave it as is! can't see any damp problems in it yet, but been focusing on the older part (and its many problems) till I noted this.

The ventilation is a bit odd too. 3 very long vents under a conservatory concrete floor (all about 3m long) into the 1980s part. a single 120mm x 150mm vent brick into the older part. the larger void carries on into the hall which opens into other rooms of the bungalow which are also vented. the other rooms have a seemingly sensible number of vents. had most of those floors up and insulated over the previous years. I seem to do a room per December...

any advice to be offered? I suspect the answer will be get someone in to take up the floor, dig down to a sensible void size and redo to probs current regs? leave as is, is probably asking for some problem to develop at some point down there. though has been there for 30 years now without issue?

for anyone with time on their hands, the other problems I've found (and working through fixing) are...

1) more deflection in the floor than I'd like in places. See below

2) long unsupported joist spans (2.5m on 75mm joists at 300mm spacing?)

3) a somewhat weakened joist right in the middle where floor boards meet chipboard. seems to have been from several things, including notching (with whatever it was notched for now gone), the long unsupported span. a big crack in it (at the top), one end not really supported as the wall plate at that end had rotted. and maybe some heat damage from being beside 2 badly lagged 22mm heating pipes.

4) a rotted wall plate. suspect it was from a leaking heating pipe at some point in the past. fixing this was tonight's activity.

5) No noggins under the 18mm butt jointed chipboard edges.

6) 22mm heating pipes with occasional bits of very thin pipe lagging.

7) the join of voids is cluttered and must have poor air flow. in its space are the 2 22mm pipes, which are over the old wall (from the 1960s extension, wall above now gone) foundation and immediately beside that knackered joist. and a wall plate (the 1980s extension has joists at 90 degrees to the older bit). between it all it looks to be doing a good job of blocking most of the airflow. will do an even better job when I put 25mm walled lagging on those pipes... planning to make some holes in the foundation (as its not now a foundation for anything) so the air can flow under all the obstruction.

8) an interesting bodge repair for that rotted wall plate. a new multi part wall plate (3 separate bits of timber) appeared to be placed directly on the sand/rubble subfloor. it was actually sitting on a bit of DPC the same width as the wall plate. the build up of dust and other crud over the years had buried the DPC though... it had some little 40mm square legs going up to the underside of the joists, though about 2mm short of actually being supportive. somewhat amazed that timber hadn't rotted at all from sitting pretty much in the dirt for at least the 13 years we've been here. suspect it was bodged by two owners previous... seems they were like that.

9) the only airbrick in the older void was partly blocked by that rotted wall plate, though the bit by the vent was fine. was the other end by the rad pipes that was rotted. nice steady breeze was coming in through it though and it was a still evening out.

10) the airbrick has a metal grill which has rusted away at the bottom. nice vermin entrance provided!

11) the channel through the wall was partly blocked by soil/dust. guessing it had either washed in (see below) or been blown in over the years and built up behind the wall plate.

12) the GL outside of that airbrick has been generously raised by the builders of next doors garden wall to be level with the bottom of the vent. said wall is also about 10" from the house wall, so access is nigh on impossible!

13) lots of loose floor boards which haven't helped with wear and tear on the carpet underlay. well knackered in places where the boards move and therefore rub.

14) there is another dodgy ground level wall plate on the opposite side of the room. haven't pulled the floor boards up that far yet to see why that is there..

15) some black pvc sheaved twin and earth. rest of the house has grey pvc from, I presume some past rewriting, so why is this bit left behind?

16) the batteries on my cordless screwdriver are 6 years old and don't seem to hold charge very well any more...

probably a few others I've forgotten too.

17) did miss one, so an edit.... probably need to add another airbrick or two for the old part of the room, though I've only got one external wall to work with and most of that is inaccessible due to next door's garden wall.

well done if you read all the way down here
steve

Sponsored Links
Digging out the solum could be quite tricky, not only for the problems already identified but from the depth of the foundations of the extension which would have to be established first. After and assuming this is feasible I would be inclined to sort every problem you have discovered, under the floorboards.
Could the 75 mm joists be replaced by 150 mm assuming the sleeper walls could be reduced by a course? ...pinenot :)

Thanks for the reply Pinenot. that adds weight to the leave it well alone and "if it ain't broke" argument...

The foundation on the 1960s extension is about <drum roll> 6 inches! Found that out today while following a bit of old lead pipe. pretty sure that is why the joist was notched. the pipe was hacked off at ground level just below it. Guess the kitchen used to be here at some point in the past?

I'd like to think the 1980s extension had better foundations, but who knows! would need to dig a test pit outside.

Been toying with the an alternate idea of using 25mm kingspan board on battens in the tiny void. gets a token insulation effort and doesn't reduce the void much. probably not worth the effort though.

on the subject of sleeper walls... the chipboarded area with the pathetic void doesn't have any. its wall plates sit straight on the concrete. no DPC anywhere in sight that I've noted yet. The rest of the house doesn't use sleeper walls either. the mid span binders/bearers sometimes have ends resting on the wall foundation, otherwise on little pillars of brick/block/wood (seems like any c**p the builder could find to lift it off the ground!) to get the right height. at least nearly all of them have had either slate/felt or dpc somewhere in the pillar.

I've put in more mid span bearers in to take the bounce/deflection out of the floors. Always thought the pillar idea looked a bit dubious. see new problems below.

and for the record... new problems noted today...

18) where the hall has been extended with a stud wall into the previous room space, some of the joists were cut back for some reason at a bearer mid span support. some shorter joists travel most of the rest of the way under the hall. These are loose on the most part, the nails securing them to the bearer having given up. some joists have been extended by fixing another timber along side. looks a huge bodge!

19) the far end of the 'hall' joists aren't sitting on a wall plate or timber of any sort! just pillars.

20) one of these pillars has fallen over. looks like the floorboards are carrying all the load for this bit of the floor. it explains the movement in the hall floor. don't want to take the hall floor up, so going to be fun to see if I can sort it by pretty much crawling under the wall!

in terms of sorting things out...

1 & 2) I'd say is 30% done. nearly all the bounce has gone from the floor boarded area now. still a bit to do, plus all of the chipboarded area.

3) I'm either going to sister or replace, not sure which yet. probably sister.

4, 8, 9 & 11) done

10, 12 & 17) I'm thinking the best I can do is mortar the bottom of the grill to seal the hole. otherwise I think I'll have to knock down next doors wall to get in to fix it. a bodge of my own <sigh>

rest still to go!

a correction to earlier comment about my joists being at 300mm centres, they aren't, its 400mm.

only good news I had today, was a checked the air bricks under the conservatory floor, there are 5 of them, not the 3 I remembered. so looking a bit better for ventilation there.

another war and peace posting.... still sort of glad I started this...
not sure the family is...

Re you battery, what cells are they at present - NiMi - Ni cd or what? ...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
they are NiCD. part number 2607335277. a very quick google search shows 40-50 quid per battery. got the drill, two batteries and a charger for 50 quid! Probs a better deal to get a new one.

tony, thought I'd put it all down for the benefit of others/see if anything was more significant than I'd appreciated, and me this time next year when motivation says do the last bedroom or hallway. remind myself what a right pita these jobs turn into...

Before you give up on these battery packs try the following, which should be done when the packs are fully discharged.
1. Freeze the battery overnight, the next day try re-charging and using, if there is a significant plus do the other (it might only improve one though)
2. connect two wires (fully insulate your hands from the wires - gloves) to a fully charged car battery +-, look for the +- on the tool battery and touch the open ends of the wires to these for a second, then re-charge in the usual manner...any improvement? do the same to the other pack if both failed the first procedure, let me know the results and what cordless you have...pinenot
:)

tony, thought I'd put it all down for the benefit of others/see if anything was more significant than I'd appreciated, and me this time next year when motivation says do the last bedroom or hallway. remind myself what a right pita these jobs turn into...

Wasn't having a go at you, but it was a lot to take in for one post. I may not be typical but I have the memory span of a goldfish :(

sure I've heard the freezing battery one before somewhere. the second... interesting. though think I'll stick to trying to kill myself doing the floor. planning on screwing all the boards back down, so see how that goes wrt battery life. cordless is a Bosch PSR18. done well for what I've needed it for over the years. definitely worth the £50 I paid for it.

all been worthwhile, found some money under the floor... a 1p, from 1917.

new problem...

21) a short span of wall with dubious support. there is the foundation, some loose rubble and then a floor slab for my kitchen with the wall sitting on top of that. removed an old bit of hardboard which was sort of holding the loose rubble in place. me thinks some concreting needed tomorrow. luckily its only about a 18inch section. either side it is built on the foundation like it should be. still don't like it!

problem 14 sorted today. 'plumber' apparently got his pipes in by hacking joists off near the end and then re-extending with anything to hand. anything in one case was a bit of 1x1.5, it spanned about a foot, with the far end propped on another weedy bit of wood running downwards at a 40 degree angle, and diagonally across the room, wedged between the wall and a concrete block on the subfloor! suspect the wall plate was in his way, hence why it was missing and replaced with odds and sods to hold that end of the floor up.

Never did finish this job off. Over a year gone past now :(

Classic case of the floor went back down, the room back into use and never got opportunity or motivation to restart.

Did solve my battery problem. Got a fancy new and much better bosch drill/driver again with two batteries. £90 this time instead of £50, but still better than two batteries. got a cordless strimmer that came with a third fitting battery so happy days. old drill went on fleabay for a surprising £30!

One day the job will be done. probably when i put someone to come do it for me :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back