water or gas pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently found a minor gas leak in the living room (used to be a old gas fireplace), rather then dig out the wall, the gas man suggested running new pipe straight from mains to just the boiler and cooker. I have purchased a electric cooker so only needed pipe to boiler leaving the old gas pipe work dead. This is now done.

Now my question is, I am redecorating the kitchen and hoping to get rid of a few bits of pipework sticking out the wall but need advice on wether it is water or gas. please see pics below

hex nut sticking out of wall near boiler

various028.jpg

2 nuts sticking out of wall behind unit (apparently used to be a old gas fridge hooked up)

various026.jpg

would i be ok just to undo the nuts and hack the pipework up to the wal so can be plastered over?

Sponsored Links
also here is a pic of the corner where the meter is located and where the original gas pipe came in. I was planning to remove the rest of the pipe but not sure the easiest way to do this? can any one also advise on what the turn valve is for in the centre of this pic?

100_4961.jpg

63 views and no replys? :(

I have now got the bend pipe off in the corner unit leaving just a stright pipe sticking out the floor, seems pretty solid

Would have made sense to get you gas man to remove old pipes while he was there, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
The "nut" in the first pic looks like a radiator bleed valve so shouldn't be gas - but stranger things have happened. So it really depends exactly where, in relation to other fittings etc, it is as to what it is likely to be, although I would recommend getting your gas man back to advise, or even remove the bits you don't want.

Sponsored Links
It is a legal requirement that unused gas pipes should be capped off. Good luck!

Would have made sense to get you gas man to remove old pipes while he was there, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
The "nut" in the first pic looks like a radiator bleed valve so shouldn't be gas - but stranger things have happened. So it really depends exactly where, in relation to other fittings etc, it is as to what it is likely to be, although I would recommend getting your gas man back to advise, or even remove the bits you don't want.

It was a few days after the gas man left I was thinking about re-decorating the kitchen and thought I might as well get rid of the old gas pipes sticking out the wall if they are no longer in use (and then plastered over).

The nut is next to the boiler which in the complete oposite corner to the radiator. Any ideas on the 2 little caps behind the unit, would they both be gas if it was a old gas fridge?

It is a legal requirement that unused gas pipes should be capped off. Good luck!

The gas man removed the dead copper pipework near the meter (did not cap this off) but was unable to remove the steel pipework (as seen in the last picture)

Just out of interest, why is it a legal requirement to cap off dead pipe work in the house if there is no gas going through it (cut off from the mains)

It was a few days after the gas man left I was thinking about re-decorating the kitchen and thought I might as well get rid of the old gas pipes sticking out the wall if they are no longer in use (and then plastered over).

The nut is next to the boiler which in the complete oposite corner to the radiator. Any ideas on the 2 little caps behind the unit, would they both be gas if it was a old gas fridge?
I would still advise you to get your gasman back.

The gas man removed the dead copper pipework near the meter (did not cap this off) but was unable to remove the steel pipework (as seen in the last picture)
Why?
Just out of interest, why is it a legal requirement to cap off dead pipe work in the house if there is no gas going through it (cut off from the mains)
In case someone reconnects to it.

I will give him a call tomorrow.

He said his cutters would only go through copper, the steel pipe goes beneath the floor so would need to get floor board up to remove it completely

I cant see how it can be reconnected? there is now only one new pipe coming from the mains to the back of the boiler? the old pipework outside the property has been taken away and pipework internally has been taken away up to the steel pipe.

He said his cutters would only go through copper,.

:eek: ...................not a very good excuse..........
ALL redundant pipework should be capped/plugged................i'd be looking for another RGI.

i have to say, this disapoints me. I pay a "gas safe" engineer £220 for a job that I thought was done well, nice guy, good finish on new pipework. But am now being told it was shoddy? :cry:

Most modern Gas Fitters - they are Prima Donnas who won`t break into a sweat - just want to tittyvate boilers and tweek a bit of copper :LOL:

£ 200 - you got off lightly ;) I paid £40 for a Gas Safe guy to connect a cooker - new pipe and shutoff valve etc .

And reciept issued -Why , cuz I`m a proper Plumber and not Gas registered- and I know the guy

I would trace the pipe back to its origin even if it involved digging the floor up. If you can see it is not connected then you can remove safely.

Do the job properly and you will sleep easy! :D

I don't think you have overpaid for your work or it is fair to criticise your gas fitter, especially on the basis of an internet forum. If someone complained about your work (office?) on advice from a forum you would be pretty put out.

It is true that the redundant gas pipes should remain capped. There are a plethora of reasons, for instance, you do not know whether the new and old are connected under the floor. You do not know whether there is an isolation valve somewhere that if opened, could let gas through.

So if I came to your house as an RGI I would not be happy about uncapping those pipes unless I could inspect the rest of the pipe in its entirety, and satisfy myself that someone wouldn't try to connect it again (so if there was a tail near the gas meter, I'd probalby remove it).

However, if it was my own house, I would probably get the angle grinder out.:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back