Water over shooting rear gutter on extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

we have recently had a rear extension built, the house roof guttering falls on to this roof. When the rain is heavy, we are finding the water over shooting the gutter!!

we have a rolled tile due to the low pitch, which basically makes the matter worse.

I need something that will spread the water across a couple of the tiles to reduce the speed.

I have attached a photo of the extension.

thanks

Attachments

• 24491FFA-FE77-47A8-9F24-D1FD3940DB71.jpeg
    24491FFA-FE77-47A8-9F24-D1FD3940DB71.jpeg
    504.2 KB · Views: 394
Sponsored Links
Woody, it’s only over shooting where the down pipe is coming from the main roof. Due to the roll on the tile (Marley Melodie) the top down pipe tracks down the roll and then just shoots over the gutter.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, the gutter is too low. It's at least 3" from the tile to the gutter, so water will just fly over the top of it.

Thanks Woody, to be honest when looking today it looked low compared to the extensions on the road.

How many cm does it normally need to be from the bottom of the tile?

Look at the main house guttering, it's a bit wavy, but look at where the tiles are.

Any water coming of a tile should be hitting the gutter wall, so imagine extending the line of the tile trough, and it should be broken by the gutter not passing over it.

I think my guttering needs raising quite a bit then! Hopefully that should stop it.

As datarebal mentioned, you could add another downpipe near the house corner to half the water load, but this could just double the problem.

The gutter is wrong, and that should be rectified regardless.

BTW, the wall behind the house downpipe looks damp. Does that connection above need looking at?

I will move the gutter up first as it’s incorrect.

Yes the down pipe was not connected while they were building and it rained... the picture is a couple of weeks old.

I have a garage in a similar situation but with corregated roof. The main house downpipe has been extended over the garage roof and feeds directly into the garage gutter with a couple of angle joints. Had to secure the downpipe lying on the garage roof to prevent high winds blowing it off. May not be so easy with square pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back