water pipe inlet route to loo. HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In going from the existing low level cistern type loo to a close coupled I am going to have a prob connecting to the existing water feed. Pipe is high, comes out of the wall exactly on a soldered bend and points wrong way.

Will somehow reroute the pipe to a lower position and ensure it can reach a straight or elbowed service valve to cistern

I am assuming that putting a compression fitting behind even a plasterboard wall is illegal and iffy??

The boxed off region behind the loo contains the soil pipe and waste pipes and the the cold feed comes into the box from the left (as you look at it) from the top copper pipe you can see and bends a right angle to come back out the box to reach the loo.

Is my only option to bend a new right angle pipe and compress join this to pipe before it enters the box and push it thru wall just behind loo in position I want???

stopcock doesnt go off completely so any small chance of soldering to existing old nasty pipe is slim.

p.s. dont ask about getting another low level loo. I have tried that one.

heres a pic, I know you love em

DSC00485.jpg

Sponsored Links
i'd be inclined to renew both them pipes looking at them.
and not with compression fittings but soldered.
can't you sort the stopcock first ?

First things first,this is NOT a big deal or a real problem.
Turn off your stop tap as far as you can (without shearing anything off) then open the cold tap in the kitchen and/or outside tap if you have one.
This will minimise the amount of water that you have to deal with in the bathroom when you do the job-probably none.
Cut into the copper pipe to the right of the tee(i.e. to the right of the speedfit stop-end) and fit an isolation valve. Then you can work on making up the pipework to the new toilet at your leisure.
It would be best to have a fully operational stoptap but if time is against you this is what I would recommend for now.
It is not illegal to have a compression fitting behind plasterboard on a water supply pipe.It will be fine.Pushfit likewise.

i could reasonably easily replace the top pipe (that actually leads to the loo) as there is a new compression fitting further to left (not shown). The T leads to basin but can solder a new one on the new tube.

fixing the stop cock from the loft tank is a very valid point but I dont want to get involved with that if possible.

pipes are 20 years old and dont look ropey on close inspection. There is greening from old flux and some crap from when tiles were removed/plasterboard repaired/replaced on pipes.

Sponsored Links
when I say stopcock doesnt go off I mean there is still a susbtstantial drip that is too much to consider a solder

Any compression is no problem

I would say I have an aversion to pushfit but hey, there are two pushfit stopends in my pic and very well they work too.

Can you REALLY bury a compression fitting behind a wall?

By the way,you can put those stillsons back in the shed-you don't need them in this bathroom at all.

If you do a compression joint properly then it will not leak and will be fine.Stop worrying.

tank fed gravity system yes.

I am fine with getting compression fittings on with no leaks. I have some new plasterboard left and could easily cut out the wall to the side of the loo and reroute some new pipe to the toilet cistern using compression elbow then patch up

p.s. my stillson is inherited and only for moral support and has never been used

Come on Jbuild-yer missus wants the new bathroom finished by the time she comes home tonight.

<<p.s. my stillson is inherited and only for moral support and has never been used>>

We can see that.

I would be very doubtful if your cold tank in the loft is feeding that basin tap. Are you sure??
What sort of pressure did you get at the tap?

Can someone confirm for future readers of this sorry saga....OK but NOT ideal to conceal compression fittings behind a stud plasterboard wall for water. Illegal to do this for gas.

Bathroom is entirely gravity fed and no probs with pressure so lets move on from that.

Ok.Bathroom is gravity fed.If you are sure that's fine.
So how exactly are you going to isolate the cold pipe referred to in your post if you are not going to go in the loft to turn off the stop tap(to the tank presumably)??
And YES it is ok but perhaps not ideal to put a compression fitting behind plasterboard.
can we move on from that?

yes I have. And it says that NO pipe fitting should be concealed in a duct or inside a wall where maintenab=nce etc would be made difficult.
Is your soldered fitting not a fitting then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back