Water pipe snapped off , could do with some advice

Just hope its the right pipe im cutting under the bath.

Also no one has mentioned using compound on the tube, im guessed that classed as bodgery haha.

Sponsored Links
Aye Ho, Aye ho, its off to screwfix i go. http://m.screwfix.com/p/stop-end-22...Window-_-Editorial+Content-_-DeepLink-_-58258 going for this one as it seems like the right one, connection will last. Its something i dont want to worry about after i have fixed it. Thank you to everyone for you help, im Homer simpson, smiling politly.

So you're going for the compression cap. Good for you, you'll also need two spanners or one and a pair of grips.
Don't over tighten as you'll crush the olive and it'll leak... Do it finger tight, then 1/4 to 1/2 turn with tools; turn water back on and tweak tightness until any weeping leak stops: wipe dry with bog roll and test round fitting with dry finger. This gentle tightening is called "nipping up"... Don't go all Hulk and "graunch" it :sneaky:

Aye Ho, Aye ho, its off to screwfix i go. http://m.screwfix.com/p/stop-end-22...Window-_-Editorial+Content-_-DeepLink-_-58258 going for this one as it seems like the right one, connection will last. Its something i dont want to worry about after i have fixed it. Thank you to everyone for you help, im Homer simpson, smiling politly.

So you're going for the compression cap. Good for you, you'll also need two spanners or one and a pair of grips.
Don't over tighten as you'll crush the olive and it'll leak... Do it finger tight, then 1/4 to 1/2 turn with tools; turn water back on and tweak tightness until any weeping leak stops: wipe dry with bog roll and test round fitting with dry finger. This gentle tightening is called "nipping up"... Don't go all Hulk and "graunch" it :sneaky:

Job is a good'n, i got in on finger tight, held the cap with grips and turned the larger nut till it felt tight. Think ill keep an eye on it for a bit, if it dont drip or no wetness within an hour, would you say its fixed?

I could of got it closer but i wanted to save some pipe incase it went wrong. Thought it was the wrong one when it sprayed out a bit. SHHIIIIITTTTTT.

Sponsored Links
Just hope its the right pipe im cutting under the bath.

Also no one has mentioned using compound on the tube, im guessed that classed as bodgery haha.

Nope... dope is good. I use Laco ptfe brush on stuff but I do hundreds of joints! I figured you could do without another £10 to spend! You should be fine... Just don't overdo it!

Job is a good'n, i got in on finger tight, held the cap with grips and turned the larger nut till it felt tight. Think ill keep an eye on it for a bit, if it dont drip or no wetness within an hour, would you say its fixed?

I could of got it closer but i wanted to save some pipe incase it went wrong. Thought it was the wrong one when it sprayed out a bit. SHHIIIIITTTTTT.

Give it 24hrs of system usage (pressure and heat on and off) before hiding it all back in the dark (y);)

Cheers Dilalio, didnt think about the heat. im about to go out so im switching it off again lol, just for peace of mind.

How do i thank on this site?

Best to be safe...
We do same on every empty property we work on... Coz we learnt the hard way :eek:

Those self sealing caps work well, but make sure they are pushed on fully and there is a ring at the end where pipe goes in, this ring needs pulling outwards as far as it would allow, (around 2 mm) locking the cap on, if need comes to remove it, this ring is pushed back in and the cap withdrawn, some come with a small plastic ring that fits in the 2mm slot made when this ring is pulled as far out so that you cannot accidently push this ring back in, as it could then dislodge and come undone.

comes in 15mm, 22mm and even other sizes. any plumbers shops sell it and is just called a push on cap.

Go to bed Mike ffs! At least you won't be able to post complete bol1ox like this when you are asleep;):sleep:
WTF! TCCHeating! where the **** did you just drop in from and startled me ! Oh Jesus my heart is pounding like hell. ****ing hell man! Oh God!

Oh i need some ****ing brandy now!

here is what I meant from screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/p/jg-speedfit-stop-end-15mm-pack-of-2/94176?kpid=94176&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product Listing Ads-_-Sales Tracking-_-sales tracking url&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping - Heating and Plumbing-_-Shopping - Heating and Plumbing&gclid=CjwKEAiAmY-3BRDh7pjvg46p1iYSJADQ78gNmGz9_rQOadA-spuHzX9DfxYl2wUN910x99xdEEkOfhoCrG_w_wcB#product_additional_details_container
Please TCCH don't act like a jealous old ugly whore who keeps loosing business to more attractive younger pros. about time you grew up!

Flecking Nora, you don't even know how a speed fit Stop End works (or what it's called) :LOL:

I rest my case:D.

Mike you are truly one in a million. I'm sure we could all learn a thing or two from you.

Just not anything about plumbing.

But keep trying pal. Apart from keeping me amused. One day you might actually give some good advice.

I've got a party popper and a few crap fireworks on standby for when that happens.

Lets finish this thread off with a topping up the boiler pressure, seems low.
When i lived in another property it had valves with handles, this looks like a flathead job.
Problem is, i dont know what to adjust. I hope the pipe picture is ok, sort of looking up at the boiler.
Be great if someone could download the picture and draw on which ones to loosen of 1st.

And of course, how much boiler pressure do i need.

Get a flat blade screw driver on the valves connected to the braided filling loop. Turn the slot so it's in line to turn on and as it is to turn off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back