Water pipe snapped off , could do with some advice

Sponsored Links
Because it's a compression fitting, which you need spanners for! It's better than using just a pushfit stop end!

My link was a compression stop end.

1. Cut pipe straight
2. Debur end of pipe
3. Open the fitting
4. Slide bottom 'open' end onto pipe
5. Put closed end onto end of pipe
6. Tighten together
7. Have a beer knowing you now have spanners for next time. There will be a next time.

Sponsored Links
Yes.
The first one pushes on and needs a tool to remove.

The middle one needs a blowtorch, some solder and some flux and could be said to be a permanent solution.

The last one just requires a spanner/wrench/mole grip combo.

In order of preference: 2, 3, 1.

Yes.
The first one pushes on and needs a tool to remove.

The middle one needs a blowtorch, some solder and some flux and could be said to be a permanent solution.

The last one just requires a spanner/wrench/mole grip combo.

In order of preference: 2, 3, 1.

Ok itsall making sense until this guy starts saying i need a blow torch to fotthe compression fitting?I tought it was just spanners?

I was referring to the order of the links in Dilalio's first post.
When he posted a second time he re-ordered them in order of preference.

You don't need a blowtorch for a compression fitting! As you were...

If you don't even own the spanners needed to use a compression fitting, then a push fit is probably a reasonable choice for you.
Note that these metal push fit parts need a special tool to remove them. If you fit it and it leaks, which is not impossible if the end of the pipe is a bit bent, then you will want to remove it and will need the special tool (or saw it off and get another one).
Plastic push fit parts don't need a special tool though. So they might suit you better.
The professional / traditional plumbers here might tell you to learn how to solder, or at least to use a compression fitting. If you plan to do more plumbing then this is good advice in the medium term. But a plastic push-fit part will solve your immediate problem quickly.

As this thread has moved to the land of confusion:

End feed fittings require heating with a blowlamp, and solder applying. You also need flux and something to clean the pipe with first, and they can't be used if the pipe has any water in it. They are a permanent solution. Solder ring fittings are similar but have solder in them already so no need to buy that separately.

Compression fittings require tools to tighten them up, but not too much or they will leak. On the other hand they will also leak if not tightened enough. Some individuals like to apply rolls of PTFE tape to the threads so the work can be easily identified as DIY bodgery.

Plastic push fit items do not require any tools, however are not considered as permanent as they can be removed, or in some cases remove themselves.

Metal push fit are similar but often require tools to remove.

Toolstation sell compression stop ends individually: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p66318

As this thread has moved to the land of confusion:

End feed fittings require heating with a blowlamp, and solder applying. You also need flux and something to clean the pipe with first, and they can't be used if the pipe has any water in it. They are a permanent solution. Solder ring fittings are similar but have solder in them already so no need to buy that separately.

Compression fittings require tools to tighten them up, but not too much or they will leak. On the other hand they will also leak if not tightened enough. Some individuals like to apply rolls of PTFE tape to the threads so the work can be easily identified as DIY bodgery.

Plastic push fit items do not require any tools, however are not considered as permanent as they can be removed, or in some cases remove themselves.

Metal push fit are similar but often require tools to remove.

Toolstation sell compression stop ends individually: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p66318

Thanks Mate!
Getting the 101 from Flameport. I understand all the different fitting now pal, i did notice that toolstation sell them a lot cheaper and in singles i so i got me one of them and a handy pipe cutter from screwfix for £2.99. Its a 3 part compression fitting 22mm that i got from toolstation and a hot chocolate. See how i get on, cheers everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back