Water Pressue - New Taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are just in the process of tidying up the kitchen and downstairs bathroom and need to change the taps.

The house is well over 100 years old (terraced) and the cold water storage is on the top, 3rd floor. Hot water is from the tank which is on the 2nd floor. Rooms are tall, around 3 metres.

Water pressure downstairs is usually fine to the naked eye.

In the bathroom, we need a shower mixer type thing for the bath and a simple tap for the sink.

In the kitchen, ideally we want a pull out type.

I am presuming we have a 'low pressure' system. Approx what bar pressure do we have?

I am struggling to find many pull out type taps that work at low pressure, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
measure from mid position of tank down to tap outlet,

10 metres =1bar

tap working pressure is rated in bars usually

Kitchen cold will be mains pressure.

A pull out could be on the cold or in theory on the hot but I don't expect any will work well on low pressure from a gravity system without a pump.

Tony

Thanks.

Is it distance between the cold water tank on the top floor, or distance to the hot water storage tank that's important.

It's probably 3m to hot water tank and 6m to cold.

If I went for say a min 0.5 bar tap and the pressure wasn't quite 0.5 what would happen? Would cold be ok, but hot be slow running?

Sponsored Links
Cold water tank to outlet, be it tap or shower head. Vertical height, not by following the pipework.

If it's 6m from the cold tank to tap spout then that would give you approx 0.6 bar, not withstanding size of pipe, bends and the like from the tank to the tap, so a 0.5 bar tap should be ok though borderline. What kind of tap do you have just now in the kitchen?
The other thing is, is the bathroom on the 1st or 2nd floor, when the shower head will be on the wall, how much higher will the cold tank be? As you may end up with low hot pressure to the shower and may need to add a pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back