water pressure needle on combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why does the water pressure vary from 1 to 3 on my Worcester combi 35cdi? What causes this? Is it a simple problem?

Sponsored Links
think you will find its not a problem, its just the water expanding / contacting as its being heated, although perhaps the expanion vessel may need a bit more air

Breezer !
I can't see how giving the expansion vessel more air will help. If you increase the pressure on the air side it will increase the pressure on the water side, because the pressure of the water and air is equal is it not ?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If the pressure is getting up to 3 (presumably 3 bar), then the expansion vessel probably has little air left in it. It needs repressurising or the vessel needs replacing. Search the forum for expansion vessels, there are lots of posts on checking the pressure.

The air pressure should be checked at every service on sealed systems, combi or otherwise.

(Some expansion vessels are connected wothout a flexi, and are supported by the air valve sitting on the ground :eek:, so it's impossible to check the system without draining the system or freezing the connecting pipe and removing the vessel. Some clever installers around. :rolleyes:)

The expansion vess on the 350 is easy to check aas the air valve points down at the controll box, if you remove the front panel then the iner panel then remove the dust cap and take the pressure with a tyre gauge if water comes out (any amount ) then its had it. Its one of the easy ones to replace and costs in the £50 mark so shouldnot be to big a bill. Your pressure should be within the 1 to 2 bar range.

Breezer!
Yes I've seen the posts by oilman and cog. As they offer solutions I take it they feel a rise of 2 bar is a problem.not that I understand the reasoning.
My thoughts are that if you have the same volume change on a larger air space the pressure will be less, so I would have thought the expansion vessel is too small to match the volume of the system.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

....As they offer solutions I take it they feel a rise of 2 bar is a problem.not that I understand the reasoning......

The lower pressure rise there is in a system, the less stress the system is under, and particularly the less flexing the boiler is subjected to, so the longer it lasts.

My thoughts are that if you have the same volume change on a larger air space the pressure will be less, so I would have thought the expansion vessel is too small to match the volume of the system.

You may well be right that the vessel is too small, they often are. But even if they are the right size, they still need the air space regenerating from time to time.

"My thoughts are that if you have the same volume change on a larger air space the pressure will be less, so I would have thought the expansion vessel is too small to match the volume of the system.
"

Well yes, but wot happens is that the air space gets smaller so that at say 1 bar(cold) there's hardly any volume of air in the e.v. . Say there's 1.2 litres. The water expands regardless of the pressure, say 1 litre. That means that 1.2 litres has to squash to 0.2 litres so its pressure will go up to 6 bar!

When youprecharge an EV to 0.7 or 1 bar, there should be NO pressure on the water side, so the EV is FULL of air. Say it's 10 litres. Then the 1 litre of water expansion will only raise the pressure about 0.1 bar.

So the problem isn't that the EV precharge pressure is too low (0.001 bar would be ok as far is expansion is concerned), as long as it's FULL of air.

So what happens as time passes IS that the EV effectively shrinks in size.

Sometimes you only have to drain a cupful of water to take the gauge pressure down to nothing - a sure sign that the EV is full of water.

Does that help?

COG -I've got a suspect EV on a 35cdi - are they the same? It's in a cupboard though so I suppose it'd have to come off the wall?

And don't you find that there's often a little water coming out of the air valve?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back