Water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So finally we have the go ahead for our extension… and I’m after some advice on plumbing! Currently have a 4 bed 1 bath with rubbish pressure on a 32kw combi boiler.

it will be a 6 bed 3 bath when extension is done, boiler is only 6 years old so need advice on what to go for.

keep boiler and add S plan?
New larger boiler
New larger boiler with storage
System boiler with storage

my main concern is the pressure will still be the same coming in this going out…. Is it worth adding a mains pressure booster? Do they work,

any advice, experiences welcome

thanks

Sponsored Links
I’m glad you’ve asked here and not whoever recommended a 32Kw Combi with poor pressure. As stated a heat only with cylinder. I don’t think a mains boost is your answer.

Sponsored Links
A large vented hot water tank, a cold feed tank in the loft, a Stuart Turner 3 bar pump and y plan valve. That will give you loads of hot water and the pump will give excellent showers. Keep the boiler just don't use the hot water side of it.

How much flow do you get?

What is the size and age of the incoming water supply pipe?

Have you measured the pressure? It is not the same as flow.

How much flow do you get?

What is the size and age of the incoming water supply pipe?

Have you measured the pressure? It is not the same as flow.
It’s not lead, and house was built 1971…

flow rate in the area is notorious for being rubbish, some days it’s worse than others but speak with UU and they say it’s fine and with in their tolerance… all the new builds around us are fine guessing they have new mains…

So when you fill a bucket and time it, how many litres per minute do you get?

What are the mains dynamic pressure and flow rate? Both those figures and needed before any advise could be suggested.

That and if you want 2/3 or more HW outlets running at the same time then a combi will never cut it.

Mains boosters will only supply 12L/Min max @ ~ 1.5 bar'ish

It’s not lead, and house was built 1971…

flow rate in the area is notorious for being rubbish, some days it’s worse than others but speak with UU and they say it’s fine and with in their tolerance… all the new builds around us are fine guessing they have new mains…
With 3 bathrooms some sort of hot (and cold) water storage is the only way forward. Your water provider is obliged to provide 10 litres per minute at 1 bar, long as they're doing that you have no right to better. As above, big tank, big cylinder, 3 bar pump and you'll be laughing.
Your combi was probably not the right solution 6 years ago (given low pressure/flow) but lots of boiler slingers push combi boilers at every scenario.

Yes alcathene, and not sure probably 18mm -20mm

Probably half-inch internal bore then. You will benefit from bigger.

Are the pipes inside the house 15mm copper?

Start with the kitchen sink cold tap, and the garden or utility room if you have them.

I expect the hot taps will be a bit less.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back