Water proofing the bottom of fence posts idea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking to build a new fence i am going to be buying trated fence posts and them also treat them with cuprinol before i concrete them in the ground.

The problem i'm trying to fix is through time water runs down the post into the soil and sits on the concrete rotting the fence post where it goes into the concrete. i was going to try and paint the part of the post under the soil along with the top surface of the concrete with bitumen paint effectively tar as a way of water proofing them for longer, do you guys reckon this might work or do you have any other ideas to tackle this problem to make the posts last longer.

Col

Sponsored Links
bungee cord large bucket sit 3 or 4 posts in preservative for a weak or at least 2 days

cover to stop rain diluting it and secure the top off the posts to stop falling over

Sponsored Links
another vote for concrete posts.

If you ever have to dig out an old post that has rotted or broken, you will swear never to use wooden posts again.

they can be made even more beautiful by painting with masonry paint to match the colour of the stained woodwork.

Here's one I did earlier

View media item 975
View media item 976

I like those post savers.

The rot usually occurs around ground level, because well below the surface it is too wet to rot quickly, and well above it is too dry, so they are protecting the most vulnerable part of a wooden post.

But concrete posts wil last far longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back