Water Pump Not Turning Off (Drayton System) HELP!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had this problem with the central heating and water system for a while, basically the water pump for the heating and water wont sometime turn off when told to do so via the Drayton control panel, sometimea it would sometimes it wouldnt. We had thought we tracked it down to 1 of the 2 Drayton Actuator, we today bought a new actuator and replaced it and the pump is still not turning off. Any ideas what the problem might be, maybe the control panel isnt sending the signal to turn the pump off? Anything else i can try before paying up for an enginner to come out?

Sponsored Links
Ok, could be a pump overrun fault at the boiler (pump overrun stat could be sticking on). Does the pump go off at all on its own or does it go non-stop?

Sponsored Links
Nah stays on competley until i turn the system off via the plug. I did try the suggestion on this thread, //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=102537&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

If you're comfortable with live electrics you need to turn off the power to the heating system, take the cover off the wiring center and remove the 2 orange wires from the zone valve.

Turn power back on with programmer off for ch and hw. Whichever orange wire is live is the valve head that is faulty. The microswitch will have stuck on.

If it is the hw then get it replaced asap as the second function of this valve is as a failsafe for the megaflo should the boiler not switch off.

Both of the orange wires are live however!??

If the boiler is not firing then it won't be a zone valbe fault.

Ok the boiler is staying on now. Right - make sure HOT WATER and HEATING are OFF at the programmer. (if a suspected faulty programmer sending signals, try turning down both room and cylinder stats to lowest setting/off).

If boiler and pump still fire/run - I'd suspect a faulty zone valve.

If the boiler is not firing then it won't be a zone valbe fault.

Ok the boiler is staying on now. Right - make sure HOT WATER and HEATING are OFF at the programmer. (if a suspected faulty programmer sending signals, try turning down both room and cylinder stats to lowest setting/off).

If boiler and pump still fire/run - I'd suspect a faulty zone valve.

Ok have turned the cylinder stat (dont have a room one) to its lowest setting and the pump still fires up. When you say zone valve are you refering to the Actuator? As i replaced the ZA5 Drayton Actuator with a new 1, do you think its worth swapping out the other actuator to see if its that one thats causing the problem and not the 1 i thought it was?

Yes turn the power off, remove the suspected faulty one and replace with the good one/new one and see.

Is the programmer set to OFF for heating and hot water? As no room stat, a fault programmer could then send power straight to pump/boiler.

Yes turn the power off, remove the suspected faulty one and replace with the good one/new one and see.

Is the programmer set to OFF for heating and hot water? As no room stat, a fault programmer could then send power straight to pump/boiler.

Ok bit of progress, it has always been the hot water that we have had the intermitent problems with, and thats why i thought it was the hot water actuator that was the problem, so thats the 1 i swapped but still had the same problem.

So i have just took the cover of the otheer actuator (heating) and used switch cleaner on the microswitch, and pressed it up and down a few times. The pump actually turned off when asked to do so for both hot water and heating....... for the first 4 times, and now the heating wont switch of when asked to but at least the water side of things is working now!, i have to add that the heating has never refused to turn off in the past its always been the hot water thats been the problem.

Are these 2 actuators linked in anyway?, as it is strange that now the heating is refusing to turn off and thats never been the case before. Im going to swap the heating actuator with the actuator i removed and though was the problem 1 in the first place and see how that goes, maybe it was the heating actuator after all even though the heating has never refused to go off....very strange

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back