Water resistant MDF or Bathroom Paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are renovating a house to live in and in the bathroom to save costs we are leaving it plastered and not tiled. Obviously tiled in the shower area but that’s it.

Behind the vanity unit and sink we were thinking of using some water resistant MDF to protect the plaster from splashes of water & we are using the bathroom paint everywhere. Would this be the best plan to protect the plaster from splashes instead of using tiles?

Any other ways of doing this are welcome.

Sponsored Links
If it’s only splashes, I’d say paint is acceptable. Water resistant MDF I wouldn’t entertain. If you did want something, you could always use an aqua panel?

Water resistant MDF is not waterproof. Either paint the plaster or tile.

It's surely a false economy to put mdf behind your sink unit when tiles aren't that expensive.
I'm sampling bathroom tiles atm and this one cost £1.50.

IMGP5423.JPG

A printed design on ceramic. Looks good, lasts for years and impervious to water.
Why wouldn't you?

Sponsored Links
If you are talking about the area directly above the basin/vanity unit, waterbased eggshell will be fine but less resilient than tiles or a glass splashback.

If you do opt for paint only, do not use silicone to fill the gap between the "worktop" and plaster. The paint will not adhere to the silicone. You will need a MS polymer such as CT1.

This is just a DIY disaster waiting to happen, if funds are that tight then just get a sheet of white pvc or similar to bond to the wall behind the sink etc. Then tile when funds permit. What an odd thing to skimp on.

Thanks for all your replies we have decided against it and are just going to paint it instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back