Water seeping out of bottom of Trianco Oil fired boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I'm new here. I'll have a go at anything and am usually successful at my projects.
The boiler is fitted on a pressurised system and it is weeping somewhere meaning I have to repressurise it about every 5 days. I have removed the burner, the top access to the boiler and all the baffles to have a good look and have found wetness on the lower inside below the lowest baffle. I cannot see a hole but suspect the outer jacket area. There was a large amount of detritus (mostly like red oxide) which I have removed - about half a bucketful! Is this boiler finished or is a repair possible. would a large quantity of car radiator repair work? The boiler seems to work well and is quite efficient. We're moving soon so I'm loathe to buy a new one.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
It is scrap.

You may be able to find someone to weld it up but this would be a temporary repair - and legally you are obliged to disclose known defects in the house sale process.

Time for a new one methinks.

More knackered than a very knackered thing I would say. You could try dosing the system with leak sealer, might buy you enough time to run away if you're moving in the next couple of weeks, but your purchasers won't thank you for it, and if there's any justice in the world karma will come and bite you in the ass. If you've exchanged contracts, you might be able to negotiate a 50:50 split on the costs with the new owners, to me this would seem fair as it's half way between you not disclosing it (good for you, bad for them) and you paying for all of it (bad for you, good for them).

Worth asking the question at least...

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your help and advice. I guess I knew the answer anyway and was hoping for some trick or trade secret to be revealed. Alas no.
So with relacement being the only option, are there any reasons why as a competent but unqualified DIYer I shouuldn't tackle this myself and must I get a condesing unit.

Thanks again

Another example of the finest Engerland engineering mate, Trianco oil boilers were always gash. It's no surprise they went ti.s up.

On the other hand, are you sure the water jacket is knackered mate, have you got a long fabricated flue, or is the flue passing through a roof & rainwater getting in??

Thanks Richdick1. It hasn't rained here for weeks!

Trianco wern't always carp! in the 50's, 60's & 70's they made fantastic boilers, with some examples of the old TSO's TSC's &TSV's still giving good service, the last decent boiler they made was the TRO Mk2 after that they did go a bit downhill especially boilers with "Euro" in the model name!! ;)

Thank you all for your help and advice. I guess I knew the answer anyway and was hoping for some trick or trade secret to be revealed. Alas no.
So with relacement being the only option, are there any reasons why as a competent but unqualified DIYer I shouuldn't tackle this myself and must I get a condesing unit.

Thanks again

Rules on DIY oil work are slightly less stringent than they are for gas, but you'll still need it commissioning by an OFTEC-registered engineer, and you might find local ones are reluctant to commission a boiler that's been DIY installed. Your solicitor/vendor will almost certainly want to see the commissioning certificate before you exchange contracts so it's best to get it done by the book.

It must be a condensing unit, to be honest you'll struggle to find one on the market that isn't condensing now anyway, but even if you did you're not allowed to install it. Go for Grant or Worcester-Bosch, everything else is generally considered to be a bit carp. If you use a registered installer you'll get upgraded to a five year warranty with a WB

Another example of the finest Engerland engineering mate, Trianco oil boilers were always gash. It's no surprise they went ti.s up.

take it you dont do much oil then or clueless and just rambling on for a laugh. the old triancos were nearly bullitproof. still servicing 30 years+ redfyre etc. they did go downhill, went bust but are now back up and running.still wnt buy them. yet they did produce some good models.

take it you dont do much oil then or clueless and just rambling on for a laugh. the old triancos were nearly bullitproof. still servicing 30 years+ redfyre etc. they did go downhill, went bust but are now back up and running.still wnt buy them. yet they did produce some good models.

Our company installed close to 1,000 oil boilers last year mate, I personally have been installing oil boilers since sectional & Wilson Wallflame boilers were popular in the early 70s.

thats good to know. but my quote was aimed at Richdick1. unless your the same person. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back