Water softener problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Waterside MC350 water softener which I installed about 18 months ago. According to the operating manual, in the event of a power cut, the system will maintain the individual programming parameters for up to 72 hours. In the past, where there has been a power outage, I have noticed that on reconnection, the softener has gone through a regeneration cycle and I have had to reset the time. Last week the power went off for a short time because of a blown fuse. I did not think to check the water softener but on checking salt level this morning saw the level had barely moved since I last refilled it a couple of weeks ago. I removed the cover of the display unit to see it showing 'Err 1' on the panel. My manual said that if this message comes up I should hear an audible alarm. I am not aware of any alarm having sounded, but as the unit is in a cupboard in the utility room whose door is usually kept closed it might not be very audible. I turned the power off and then on as instructed, at which point a lot of water started passing through the pipework and draining away outside. The display showed flashing 0:00 and I was unable to set the time. After a time of almost continuous water flushing, the 'Err 1' message came up again. I did what the manual said, but again all that happened was that a lot of water was being flushed down the drain ( and as my water is metered, I'm not too keen on that!). Can anyone help on this? I could call out the service engineers, but am reluctant to pay callout charges if there is something I can do myself. Also, can anyone tell me how long a regeneration cycle should last, as it usually happens in the middle of the night? :cry:

Sponsored Links
When the power goes of (even for a second) the unit does a service reset as soon as the power comes back on, this takes 5 minutes, this is NOT a regen, E1 is an error message to say thet the electronics can't find the home position, it may have been caused by the power outages you have had, you will need to call Culligan and get an engineer out to replace the electronics, they may charge you for the call out but if you argue the point that the electronics shouldn't have failed after 18 months they should replace them FOC
hope this helps
haga

ps, sorry, just noticed the date on this post, rather than delete it I've left it as it may help others

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back