Water softener recommendations....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks,

Just finished descaling my unvented cylinder, which were attrociously scaled up after only 3 years!

So, i'm looking to install a softener at the mains point of entry into the house.
I'm baffled by the whole plethora or different types availble, so any advice on a decent system that actually works would be brilliant

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Get one that regenerates on the volume of water softened rather than time based as the time based ones regenerate whether they need to or not, ie every night!

A volume based one will only regenerate when a certain volume of water has passed through it, so only when needed. This makes it more economical on regeneration salt consumption.

If its feeding an unvented cylinder it needs to be a bit of a beast, not the crappy little undersink type.
Even though you will be told the small ones can cope with the flow with a hi flow head and hard plumbed in say 22 copper, the resin chamber needs to be able to cope with the flow otherwise the water will pass through and not be softened.
The larger type are often built to order and unfortunately take up quite a bit of space.

Sponsored Links
I have a monarch 350 with high flow hoses, salt tablets, and auto re-generation. Every 3/4 weeks lob a bag of salt in, lovely soft water. Wouldn't be with out one now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back