Water softener or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a pressurised system installed but my pressure is already quite low. Reads 14 using one of those cup measuring devices. I'm having a new bathroom and hot water cylinder so I am keen to also get a water softener to ensure the whole system is kept in good condition and lime scale dosent build up.

My concern is that installing a water softener will decrease the pressure even more which I really don't want to do because it's already low. M

Expert advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for correcting me on that, as you can tell I'm still learning a lot about this.

I want a water softener fur the reasons mentioned but if my pressure and flue rate is already low I'm worried adding a softener could make it too low for a pressurised system to be viable

If you are having a Unvented cylinder I suggest a mains upgrade before a water softener,that is quite a low flow rate

Have you tried the cup with two taps running?

Sponsored Links
I have only tried the cup with one tap in fully which gave me 14. I am planning on a unvented hot water cylinder.

Currently my water is shared off the mains with next door. I called with water board to ask what the cost would be for our own connection to the mains and it was estimated as £1500 - £2000. Quite a lot of money. The mains pipe is blue and 25mm or perhaps 30mm. I wanted to ensure I have at least 22mm pipes running to the shower and bath to hopefully increase the flow rate.

A water softener used properly will keep all the lime-scale off taps, WC's tiles etc. and considerably reduce the amount of cleaning needed. However, there are downsides:

a. You will lose some water pressure. You need to check with the manufacturer, but I'd allow a pressure drop of 1/4 to 1/2 bar - quite a lot if your incoming is only 1 bar. Also make sure it can supply an appropriate flow rate.

b. You need to make sure at least one tap, normally the kitchen, is not supplied via the softener. Softened water can contain very slight traces of salt which is not recommended for drinking.

c. Some boiler manufacturers (in fact I think most of them) won't honour the guarantee if the boiler has softened water circulating. In my opinion it shouldn't matter if the heat exchanger(s) are stainless steel, but aluminium probably does react. On a non-combi boiler you can get round this by filling from the non-softened supply

d. You will need somewhere to store a good supply of salt. The softener I have (28 years old, touch wood still going strong) gets through 20 bags of salt, each of which weighs 25Kg, every year.

I think you would be well advised to get a professional in to make the measurement and help you review your options.

All good advice above.

The boilers that don't like ion exchange softened water are mainly aluminium construction, such as Worcester Bosch.

Upsizing the pipes to the bath won't make a jot of difference, 14 litres is lousy and fitting an unvented is rather pointless. Most larger combis can deliver the same maximum performance you will ever see out of an unvented at 14l/m.

Before updating the water incomer make sure the water supplier has given you an expected flow rate figure that the costly upgrade will deliver. Don't be fobbed off with a static pressure measurement, this does not change whatever size pipe you have.

Your alternative is an accumulator, which works very well in the right circumstances. We've been fitting them since 2004 and have only had satisfied customers (those with plenty of room to site one!). NB: Another advantage of an accumulator is that fitment of a softener does not have any impact on flow and pressure.

Thank you Simon and old buffer for your detailed advice.

I do have a Worcester greenstar boiler but am not sure if it's aluminium.

My current flow rate is 14, by upgrading to my own mains connection what new flow rate and pressure could I expect? (I realise this maybe difficult to answer)

If I look at an accumulator instead this will obviously store pressurised mains water but will it actually increase pressure and flow rate? ....or is the idea if an accumulator to just keep the pressure and flow rate constant at times of high demand?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back