Water Softener??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
good morning all,

Now we have decided to renovate the kitchen I am going to incorporate a shout oftener.

I thought they were just small devices that lived under the sink but how wrong I was!!!

We have plenty of cupboard space where the water comes into the house through a utility room so was wondering what is the best one to get? Size, in this case, definitly does not matter!!

King regards

Sponsored Links
I've heard em called some things but shout oftener ha ha no seriously I would get a harveys softener.
They are great and very reliable.Bob.

Hi bob,

Thanks for your reply. I had a little chuckle to myself when I saw what predictive text had done this time to make me look an idiot!

Do you have a link to any sofeners you have in mind just so I can have a look?

Regards

Sponsored Links
Cool.

I've filled in the form for a quote so hopefully they'll get back to me.

Why do I need a quote? I'm guessing there isn't just one to choose from?

I've had a few quotes for the softeners and I think I am going to go ahead.

Quick question though, I've been told that I will need to bypass my kitchen tap as the water that is softened is no good to drink. Is that true? And if so what is the best way to do this to maximise the device?

Harvey's come with their own micro supply to kitchen sink and fridge (if required). Suggest you look at their MIs.

We normally also run a non-softened supply to bathrooms so you can brush your teeth in it and drink it if on mains - but that's a whole other story :)

There's absolutely no reason whatsoever not to drink softened water, unless your doctor has prescribed you an ultra-low sodium diet, in which case the type of water you're drinking is going to be the least of your concerns!

I have to say that I strongly prefer raw water to drink.

Even the Harvey manual recommends having a raw supply to the kitchen sink. Also to a garden tap as its a waste of softened water and plants prefer the calcium in the raw water.

Tony

There's absolutely no reason whatsoever not to drink softened water, unless your doctor has prescribed you an ultra-low sodium diet, in which case the type of water you're drinking is going to be the least of your concerns!
Old or young SHOULD NOT drink soften water. Ask you water supplier.
Anyway I have a Minmax, it looks the same as the one mentioned earlier in the post.
When we moved to this property it was installed, we always thought the water tastes horrible (compared to my London water), so we started buying bottled water. We had the water softener serviced (new seals etc) that's when it came to light that it was installed with ALL water passing through it, even the outside tap. I was using so many salt blocks it was an expensive device, plumbing now all sorted. Water tastes great & plants love 'fresh water'.
Salt blocks are expensive if you can store them, buy a large quantity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back