Water Softener??

Sponsored Links
glad to see that http://www.ukwta.org/technology-areas/faqs/ says

"Can I put softened water in my central heating system?
Yes! British Standard BS 7593:2006 Code of practice for treatment of water in domestic hot water central heating systems has recently been updated and now allows systems, including those with boilers with aluminium heat-exchangers, to be filled with softened water provided that a corrosion inhibitor specifically formulated for the purpose is added and properly maintained."

I've got a Monarch water softener. It's great, but the softened water tastes (to me) horrible.
I wouldn't commit yourself to a softened water supply in the kitchen unless you know you'll be happy with how it tastes.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps I am too sensitive to tasting wines but at Harvey they give you two glasses to taste.

The softened one was immediately obvious to me because it contained some salt. But the others seemed unconcerned. ( Or were being polite perhaps, although that's not so common with plumbers! )

Or run both hard and soft water to the kitchen, and then fit a separate drinking tap, or three way tap.
That way, washing dishes etc can be done with hot and cold softened water, cooking and drinking can be from the hard filtered/unfiltered water.

Outside taps IMO should also be hard, along with toilets (unless your happy to be flushing softened water and the money spent on softening it, down the toilet!).

On the other side, I've been drinking softened water in London for 16 odd years, and actually preferred the taste of softened over hard water. Only had two tap system but had both hard and soft water supply to the cupboard under the sink. Got swapped from cold softened to cold hard when kids were born and formula stated not to use softened water...

Now that I'm renovating, Ive fitted a 3 way tap (normal hot/cold + filter). Not bothered with filter, and instead put hard water in the otherwise filter part.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back