water softeners in washing machines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dishwashers have water softeners in them which are recharged with salt, yes?

So, why don't washing machines have them too? Softer water would mean less washing liquid needed, and reduce the need for fabric conditioner too.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
AikenDrum said:
Dishwashers have water softeners in them which are recharged with salt, yes?

So, why don't washing machines have them too? Softer water would mean less washing liquid needed, and reduce the need for fabric conditioner too.

Any thoughts?

yes

£££££££££££££££££££££

also they dont do thee m/c much good

Also salty clothes would be a bit scratchy on my delicate skin :cry:

you don't know how water softeners work, do you :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
you don't know how water softeners work, do you :rolleyes:

Well, I thought I did. Hard water contains Calcium and Magnesium ions which help form a soap scum, and requires more detergent to clean your hair/dishes/clothes/whatever. If this hard water is passed through an ion-exchange resin, this will absorb the Calcium and Magnesium ions and swap them for Sodium ions. This softens the water, and reduces the quantity of detergent needed for cleaning

So, am I missing something, or does my original question still make reasonable sense?

I meant Gees when he said

Gees said:

Water softeners are great. I'm quite happy to use one for the whole house (so don't need one in the washer)

JohnD said:
I meant Gees when he said

Gees said:

Water softeners are great. I'm quite happy to use one for the whole house (so don't need one in the washer)

Oh I see, my apologies.

So, still waiting for an answer. Given that water softeners are cheap enough to put in dishwashers, why not washing machines.

Perhaps I should start up some kind of petition................. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back