Water Stained Floor

ABN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sometime back the cistern ball valve was faulty and every time the toilet was flushed water would spray out of the top and soak the floor. Built in cistern so didn’t notice it for some time.

That caused some damage to the floor but since then it has got slowly worse. The leak was fixed a long time back but think the cold toilet bowl is causing condensation which is making the black marks that the leak caused worse.

The black marks look much darker and pronounced in real life than the picture shows.

The floor is an engineered hardwood with some form of lacquer on the surface.

Two questions.

What can I do to get rid of the black stain or at least make it less noticeable?
When fixed what can I do to prevent a reoccurrence of the problem, assuming it is condensation?

P1000516.jpg

P1000511.jpg

Sponsored Links
nowt you can do realy other than claim off the insurance
the only way to visualy reduce the effect off the dark areas is darken the surounding timber not an option in this case i am shure :cry: :cry:

Thanks for the reply.

Don’t think I can claim of the insurance as the faulty valve happened a few years ago. Thinking more about the further damage feel it maybe because I didn’t silicon the base of the bowl and the condensation would be seep under the edges and be unable to dry. Thus entirely my fault.

Was wondering if wood bleach, stain then wax would work.

Don’t like silicon so need to find an alternative way to seal the toilet.

Anyone know whether the idea of using wood bleach, stain then wax would help?

Or would the wood bleach make things worse?

Sponsored Links
Theres moisture/water getting to that part of the floor somehow and i doubt it's condensation from the toilet.
Find the source and stop it, your floor will dry out and any lack marks will disappear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back