Water Stained Flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Thank you in advance for your help.

I've just woken up and found someone has hung up dripping towels above the hardwood flooring in the dining room.

The damage is visible. In the two attached pictures you can see the normal and damaged side by side.

How do I repair this damage? I have a fan blowing on it and have dried it using paper towels.

The wood is engineered oiled oak.

Thank You very much for your help and advice,
Matt

Sponsored Links
It should dry naturally, give it some time. It might also be due for another coat of oil ??

Thanks - I think you're right. It has dried fairly naturally over the day - the final damage will be thankfully minimal :)

What I find interesting is that the damage is where the pieces meet, but the supplier says I shouldn't apply oil unless it's re sanded first. To me, the gaps between seem like a weakness... There must be a way to fill these gaps such that the wood is better protected?

As they are brand new, I don't fancy re sanding just yet ;)

If some black does remain, is there a way to fix just these areas? I reckon sanding and oiling just these bits will come out a different colour...

Didn't realise it was a new floor covering. Either way, any liquid spilt will find it'sway "down". Not sure if your floor has a micro bevell, even if it hasn't the joints are obviously a weak spot.
It will revert back to normal so long as you attend to it.

Never attempt to fill the joints, your floor will take small spillages.

Sponsored Links
Applying a suitable maintenance product once in a while (say every 5 - 6 months) will also keep your wear and tear layer better protected against spillages, plus protect the joints better too.

Cheers :)

What type of maintenance product do you recommend?

The advice from my retailer is sand and re-oil every 2 years or as required.

They didn't mention maintenance products..?

Thank you very much,
Matt

Sand and re-oil every 2 years is absolute rubbish advice!

Proper, regular (every 5 - 6 months) maintenance is all that is takes in normal circumstances. In heavy traffic areas you could apply a polish once every 3 - 4 months.

We can highly recommend Saicos Floor Care Set (or Wax Care on its own)

Thank you very much for the advice :)

I presume 'proper maintenance' is applying wax care and using the cleaning product? (just double checking as this flooring was really expensive!!!)

That's right. Don't "wash" to floor too often (hardly needed anyway, fortnightly is more than enough with a well wrong-out cloth)

Well, I've tried the Saicos Floor Care Set and it's pretty good stuff.

The cleaning product (liquid soap) is thick and concentrated and seems to clean as good as anything else.

More importantly, the wax care is really good stuff. Really easy & quick to apply and leaves an invisible layer of protective wax on your floor. Because it's invisible, I could apply it to high traffic areas without fretting that I hadn't other areas.

The layer is leaves is very thin, but as you apply it does go into some of the cracks in the wood (depending on how much you use). For chips/holes in the wood I applied a bit extra to block water getting in there (should anyone spill or when people walk in from the rain).

All-in-all, good stuff :) Exactly what I wanted to protect our flooring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back