Water staining around chimneys

not plain tiles fwiw
I couldn't make my mind up (fully) as the different photo angles belied the gauge. However, in one photo, there was no way the gauge was 100mm or less.
The last piccy on the opening post is alarming. For the wetness to be that low down, there has to be a guttering issue or pipe leak.

Sponsored Links
I'd say possibly a gutter issue as well. Lot of water coming down the centre of the roof, hitting the back of the stack and coming round both sides into the end of the gutters. Best time to check is when it's hammering down. Deep flow gutters might fix the issue.

I'm not sure the trays are causing all that staining under the soffits. There's a lot of staining on the stack coming out of the weep holes over the top tray. This is probably partly due to not using patination oil on the tray, but shows that the tray is stopping the moisture going down the stack into the loft.

Sponsored Links
This is probably partly due to not using patination oil
The staining is due to the trays working. have you or anyone checked the lower tray within the roof space?

I have seen similar before , the higher up efflorescence you will be stuck with

I'd take 6' off that stack if you are only using it for a gas fire. Those bricks look a poor choice for a chimney that big. I would look at the side flashings also. I would also clean it and paint it with storm dry when the weather is better.

The staining is due to the trays working. have you or anyone checked the lower tray within the roof space?

I have seen similar before , the higher up efflorescence you will be stuck with
I've said in my post that the staining on the stack shows that the tray is working, but I've always used patination oil on the trays when building a stack, as it helps avoid some of the stains.
I haven't checked in the roof space myself, I'm only looking at the photos like you.
I'd still say the odds are that the staining under the soffits on the walls are gutter problems, rather than the trays.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back