Water supply for american fridge freezer

• Thread starter BuildingNovice
  • Start date
B

BuildingNovice

View media item 24925 View media item 24926
I have the items shown in the pictures (2nd picture shows compression valve in more detail):

15mm copper pipe water supply with stop valve on end.
6.35(1/4") plastic tubing to fridge
6mm copper pipe
6.35mm (1/4") compression valve

I need to make sure my plumber will have all parts ready when he arrives to fit, but I am not able to contact him before he arrives. Please could you advise what else is needed e.g. presumably a short length of 15mm pipe to go into other side of stop valve and then a 15mm to 6mm compression union?

Sponsored Links
whats all that fannying around with 6mm copper pipe, 6mm compression fittings.

just go and get yourself a john guest tap adaptor 1/4" x 3/4".
your lldpe 1/4" pipe fits one end the 3/4" end screws onto your washing machine tap that you have already fitted.

no need for a plumber to come round.

PT N0 C1320816S

yer dont use 6mm (1/4 here ) copper

you use flexible1/4 plastic on a self cutting valve did ours last month after err decided it would be better on the other side of the kitchen :LOL:

Thanks Seco services

Does it matter that my fridge pipe has a compression end that looks like this (i.e. will this type of end plug in OK to the tap adaptor 1/4" x 3/4")?

View media item 24932
Also, the thread on the end of the washing machine tap is 1" wide - does 3/4" refer to the bore hole?

Presumably I just need some PTFE tape too?

Sponsored Links
Will a general plumber's merchant or B&Q etc sell the John Guest adaptor?

I just noticed the fridge pipe is quite short and won't reach the John Guest adaptor - Is my best action to buy a separate length of plastic 6.35mm pipe and straight coupler to connect to existing fridge pipe, and then connect other end to adaptor?

this pipe is 1/4" LLDPE.
either get a complete new length of 1/4" pipe or add a section.
or lengthen the copper pipe/valve.

1/4" straight coupler is PT N0 P10408S
WG20110-40.jpg

PT NO C1320816S
WG20109-40.jpg

the washing machine valve thread diameter will measure 1" but is actually
3/4" bsp thread.

you can just cut that compression nut of the end.
don't need any ptfe.

you won't get these at plumbers merchants your better off with a someone who does water filters or refridgeration.

You'll struggle to get them from refrigeration suppliers, none of my suppliers stock them....

I found a supplier online (finerfilters.co.uk).

Before I order, please could someone confirm whether I will need to cut off the 'helmet' on the end of my fridge pipe so it can connect to the straight coupler.

Is there a connector that would enable me to plug in the fridge pipe as is (no cutting) and connect other end to John Guest water pipe (which seems not to have a helmet)

Seco did say cut it off ;) I `ll add- not with a hacksaw , ideally a platic tube cutter OR a sharp utility knife

Thanks

I thought seco meant to cut off the copper compression nut which is on the fridge pipe, as that will be redundant.

Out of interest, is the compression 'helmet' on the end of the fridge pipe intended to be forced into the copper valve shown in the second picture, which has an olive inside?

Also, does it matter that the fridge pipe may not be a John Guest pipe (although at 1/4" it seems to be the same size)?

I just want to make sure there are no issues when I cut off the 'helmet' end try and connect it to the John Guest connector.

Also, does it matter that the fridge pipe may not be a John Guest pipe (although at 1/4" it seems to be the same size)?

no
never had an issue with one yet and all my fittings are john quest
I just want to make sure there are no issues when I cut off the 'helmet' end try and connect it to the John Guest connector.

shouldn't be.
can always get your bits first before hacking the end off.
but as said thats all i do.

as pointed out by Nige F cut the nipple off and slide the nut off.
if you was using the nipple on the pipe in a compression you don't need the olive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back