Water Supply - Neighbour Tee'd off from supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Before i contact Thames Water/OFWAT, looking for a bit of advice as to how to present my issue.

The situation:
- Thames Water
- Pavement immediately outside my property there are TWO stop-taps.
- 1 stop tap = my property. 2nd stop tap = next door.
- My water pressure sometimes drops significantly.

- Next door has been converted into 5 flats (large house converted).

- I am concerned that there is ONE supply pipe from the mains.
- This is then split between my property and next door.
- When next door start using the water, the pressure to my property significantly drops

- All of this occurs before my boundary on the pavement, so is Thames Water's pipework.
- I've had my supply pipe changes within my boundary, it made no change.
- The pressure is sometimes fine, other times not at all.

How do you think i should approach this with Thames Water?

I don't want ThamesW to state, a shared supply is the problem of the property owners.

Also, should a block of flats not have their own supply?

Many thanks all

Sponsored Links
If you still have an old lead supply, it could be restricted so pressure drops if nearby properties use water. Mine suffers during the summer, but not to the extent that I am going to change it. You could turn your stop cock off and see if it affects your neighbours.
Oops, just re read and see you have a new supply. Turn off the stopcock and tell TW if it affects neighbours.

Thanks.

I changed my supply from the meter to my property to a new pipe.

I think, from the mains there is One supply pipe

Just before each stop cock, I think this supply splits in two.

As its One supply from the mains, serving Two properties, I think next doors 5 flats just draws more water and my supply suffers.

Turn off No.2 Stop tap and knock to see what flats have any water, if none have any water then they are not connected to your stop tap

Andy

Sponsored Links
Depends how much your pressure/supply actually drops to. Here is some info re water supply standards

Water suppliers’ statutory service standard level of mains water pressure is 10 metres/head (or one bar). This means there is enough force/pressure to push the water to a height of 10m.

This is measured at the point where the water leaves the water suppliers pipework and enters yours (usually the outside stop valve or property boundary).

As a guide, if you have a suitable single service pipe, the first tap in the home (this is usually the kitchen tap) should be able to fill a 4.5 litre (one gallon) bucket in 30 seconds, with all other taps and appliances turned off. Another way of putting it is enough water pressure to fill a cold water storage cistern in a two storey house roofspace

OFWAT gives a minimum statutory pressure of 7m head.

The actual minimums given are pretty low really and most services exceed these provisions. In your case if the supply is shared between several properties the pressure/supply could well be below the minimum when your neighbours are using their facilities but unless it is for prolonged periods I should imagine TW will state they are providing a service to the required standards. I would suggest you raise your concerns with TW in the 1st instance and gauge their response and then decide whether it can be escalated to involving OFWAT. I should imagine if the flats are being fed from their stop valve that their supply will be in a poorer condition than yours when they are all using water. There may also be be wider problems within the mains water distribution system as a whole hence your statement that sometimes there is no pressure at all and though that is unlikely to be true it is possible for main pressures to be reduced considerably in times of high demand or service problems.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back